Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another AMEX AU Backdating Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another AMEX AU Backdating Question

I know that AMEX is inconsistent when it comes to backdating AU accounts, but for the sake of my question let's just assume I can get AMEX to backdate my April 2011 account to an older account that I am an AU on.

Here's the scenario:

Say I get added as an AU on a 1995 account and successfully get my 2011 account backdated to 1995.  If I then had myself removed as an AU, would I get to keep the 1995 date, or would my account automatically be reverted back to 2011?

The 1995 account in question does not have a good history -- several lates, high util, etc -- so I don't want to have it on my report, but I would like to get the 1995 to boost my AAoA.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Another AMEX AU Backdating Question

Tough one.

I'm AU on DGF's Amex. Date on card is 2006. Date on CR is 1995.

You really never know with them.

In your case, I wouldn't want the bad history and there's no telling what they'd report.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

Tough one.

In your case, I wouldn't want the bad history and there's no telling what they'd report.

Did the AAoA boost help your score a lot? 

Message 3 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Tough one.

Hard to say. I've been on it for years and wasn't the least bit educated about credit when added.

I want the Costco Amex but won't apply until April/May. I'd love to wait until October when the last negative item will gracefully disappear. I had a Gold card years ago and closed it so there should be no issue with getting it backdated.

Right now I just ant to pick up some extra hours and get debt/utilization way down.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Tough one.

I was added as an AU on my Fathers AmEx (opened in 84) when I was in the rebuilding stage, my AAoA's at that time was like 3 yrs, my TU FICO was 702, when the card was listed on my reports, my AAoA's went to like 6 yrs and my TU FICO went to 727.

Just my example.

Best of Luck!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Tough one.

I was added as an AU on my Fathers AmEx (opened in 84) when I was in the rebuilding stage, my AAoA's at that time was like 3 yrs, my TU FICO was 702, when the card was listed on my reports, my AAoA's went to like 6 yrs and my TU FICO went to 727.

Just my example.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the input.  I'm sure my score would go up a little too, but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting it backdated if it will just revert when I remove myself as AU.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Tough one.

Just my example.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the input.  I'm sure my score would go up a little too, but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting it backdated if it will just revert when I remove myself as AU.

I'm not sure if it would revert, but what concerns me is the negatives that come with this card if you did get added as AU, your scores would take a dive, then once you remove yourself as AU, how would AmEx report it? That's my question.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Tough one.

Just my example.

Best of Luck!

I'm not sure if it would revert, but what concerns me is the negatives that come with this card if you did get added as AU, your scores would take a dive, then once you remove yourself as AU, how would AmEx report it? That's my question.

My understanding of AU is that it stops reporting when you remove yourself as an AU.  I don't know if it varies by CCC though... 

Whether or not AMEX will leave the backdate on my personal account is really the same as your question.  Removing AU should remove the account from your CR, but does a backdated account need to be reporting in order to keep the backdate on currently reporting accounts? I hope that makes sense.

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I thought Amex would only back date to when you were actually added to the account not the opening of the account... but as others have said everyone seems to get different answers and experiences in getting it done.

and being removed from AU account does not always mean it will be deleted from credit reports... that usually happens when you ask the CR to delete the account because you don't want it showing and it's not yours.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.