Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Amex Blacklist Experience

tag
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Amex Blacklist Experience

Here's my experience with the infamous AMEX blacklist. So there was a $600 balance I allegedly owed them from back in 2012. It ended up getting charged off and sent to collections. They voluntarily deleted the CO from all 3 bureaus in 2013. But for years thereafter I was hesitant to pay that $$$. During that period I also tried applying for different AMEX products and all were declined without a HP. The denial letters sent out cited "previous account was closed by American Express". Well last year, after so much deliberation and coming into some extra bucks I had no use for, I went ahead and paid the balance in full. Roughly two weeks later IIRC, I applied for the PRG and for the first time ever, they pulled my credit while the application went pending. Although it wasn't approved, I was declined for a totally different reason. Also I was later added as an AU on an AMEX Hilton with a $30k limit.

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife and I had to file a chapter 13 years ago because I was out of work for a couple of years with injuries. Amex was in the BK for about $1,500 it had been 16 years since the BK was filed and I applied for AMEX ED and was approved, I added my wife as an AU, she was also an AU on the AMEX account that was in the BK.  When our cards arrived it showed me as member since 2016 and her as member since 1996.  No big deal but its interesting nonetheless.

Message 12 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@atomicfront wrote:

@amv8 wrote:

pretty sure they do. I've read stories on here that people have been declined as AU because of their prior relationship

I burned American Express and I have a corporate card with them.  I would believe that is similar to an authorized user.  

A corporate card is not the same as an AU card... I was able to get a corporate card merely months after a BK7 in which Amex was included.  While I agree this isn't intuitive, others have reported a similar experience.

As for AUs, they are definitely impacted by the black list; I personally know of cases where people can't be an AU due to the black list... they will send a denial letter to the primary (the person requesting the AU) instructing them to have the AU call an 800 number for more info... they won't disclose the reason directly to the primary, even though they're the one requesting the AU card.

Message 13 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I had to file a chapter 13 years ago because I was out of work for a couple of years with injuries. Amex was in the BK for about $1,500 it had been 16 years since the BK was filed and I applied for AMEX ED and was approved, I added my wife as an AU, she was also an AU on the AMEX account that was in the BK.  When our cards arrived it showed me as member since 2016 and her as member since 1996.  No big deal but its interesting nonetheless.

I've had a similar experience... I actually have three different years on four different Amex cards... Smiley Surprised

Your wife's card has your actual MSD since it was processed after yours... when your card was made their computer hadn't made the connection yet (it can take several days when you're just returning as a customer). 

In my case, when I got 'back in' with them in 2015 my cards came printed with a 2015 MSD, but within a week my login started greeting me with my old 1995 date.  My PRG and ED cards have 2016 and 2017, respectively, since that's when I applied for them and I wasn't logged in for the apps (I wanted to get the better incognito offers).  As for my Delta, it has my 1995 date on it, since I was logged in during the app.  In any case, my replacement cards will all come with the "correct" 1995 date, for what that's worth (which isnt' much these days).

You'll get your 1996 date back when your card is replaced... if you don't want to wait for it to expire you can call and they'll send one out with the "right" date, but again it's not worth much these days. 

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

For years I thought I was BLed with AmEx. Turns out I wasnt. You never really know til you pull the trigger

Good point.

Message 15 of 29
bk510
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
If you were black listed you wouldnt even get a hp as they would just send a letter quoting previous relationship. I would just try to apply to see what happens. Amex seems to be a little more open nowadays. I just got off the list recently after 10 years due to bk7. Worse thst happens is you find out where you stand or you get an actual hp . Good luckSmiley Happy

+1, This just happened to me on Delta, 6/2017 would be my 5 yrs post discharge so I'll give it a another shot in June.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 16 of 29
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I doubt they make those types of mistakes. If you're actually BL I don't think they would have allowed you to be a AU.

+1

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 17 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I was about to post where is good ol' UncleB, lol, cuz i know he had some experience with a corporate card. Thanks UncleB.

As an aside, for as many times as i had hit the app Amex card, since i beieve Feb 2016 anyway, i had always done with my Ex frozen. This is interesting because this past Feb when i finally got approved, instantly and mind blowing i might add Smiley Wink, i had just unfroze my Ex to check out something. So i have idea if i would have gotten approved earlier in the year had my Ex not been frozen.
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting - I had a CO with them years ago...I estimate about a decade more or less...Maybe the infamous blacklist is only for 10-15 years?

Message 19 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting - I had a CO with them years ago...I estimate about a decade more or less...Maybe the infamous blacklist is only for 10-15 years?

You might be in the clear... I always assumed I would be forever blacklisted based on what I read.  In 2015 I was 15 years post BK, and just for 'giggles' I tried for a Green card and was instantly approved.  Shocked as I was, I then applied for a BCP which was approved as well, albeit with a $1k SL and the highest APR.

Fast-forward and at 18 months (Nov 2016) they finally gave my BCP an auto-CLI to $3k, but my own CLI requests are always denied due to "... previous negative experience with an American Express account"; i.e. they forget nothing. 

I eventually closed the Green and got a PRG and Delta Gold last summer (Delta was also approved for $1k), and just two months ago I was approved for an Everyday at $8k and 16.x% APR, so they're finally warming up to me, but it's taken a little while.

If there's an Amex product you have your eyes on you might consider giving it a shot... you could be pleasantly surprised.  Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.