Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Infamous "Should I close my secured CC now" thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Infamous "Should I close my secured CC now" thread

Hello,

So i have been able to successfully rehab my Equifax file to completely clean (minus like 30 inquiries >.<) .

I have the following credit cards:

Open Sky secured $300 opened 8/2012

1st Tech CU Secured: $2k 11/2012

Applied Bank Secured $200 11/2012

Discover IT $1.5k 1/2013

USAA Amex $7.5k 1/2013

Citi AA $2.8k 1/2013

Chase United Mileage (Pending, looking good)

I was thinking about closing the CU as i no longer need relationship with them since im in with USAA as I have my auto loan there now... I was going to close Applied and leave opensky cc open since its my oldest acct... Or should I close it? I know considering the other cards are recent so closing them shouldnt have a huge effect right? What do you guys recommend?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Re: Another Infamous "Should I close my secured CC now" thread

All your cards are really short in history. Why don't you just SD them for now unless they have an annual fee. Either ways it wouldn't matter closing them since it stays on your report for ten years.
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 2 of 23
MrxLeo
Contributor

That's a very impressive line up of cards you've accumulated in such a short period of time. Do you mind sharing a bit of your success story?  

Is that the order you applied in as well?  Did you do the multiple browser method for the Discover IT, USAA and CitiAA? Do you know which CBA they used to pull?

Im planning on applying for those same cards next week except the delta aa instead of the usaa so your input would be extremely valuable to me. 

Starting Score: 609
Current Score: EX: 723 (08/18), TU: 741 (08/15), EQ: 695(08/15)
Goal Score: 785

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 23
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@MrxLeo wrote:

Did you do the multiple browser method for the Discover IT, USAA and CitiAA? Do you know which CBA they used to pull?

OT but what is this?

Message 4 of 23
Springer
New Contributor

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

@MrxLeo wrote:

Did you do the multiple browser method for the Discover IT, USAA and CitiAA? Do you know which CBA they used to pull?

OT but what is this?

+1

In The Garden Since 1/5/13

Starting Score: EQ FICO 627 CK 633 CS 630 (12/2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO-584: EX FICO (BofA, 12/17/2012): 538 :CK 578 :CS 630
Goal Score: 700

Message 5 of 23
Springer
New Contributor

I think he's referring to this

Multi Browser Method

In The Garden Since 1/5/13

Starting Score: EQ FICO 627 CK 633 CS 630 (12/2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO-584: EX FICO (BofA, 12/17/2012): 538 :CK 578 :CS 630
Goal Score: 700

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was my original post in november:

New Rebuild Journal Xwill04 [ Edited ]

Hey guys, recently decided to get serious rebuilding my credit.

Here are the following items on my credit reports and steps taken :

Collection accounts:

ENHANCED RECOVERY - TransUnion (DV Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balance- $1,454

Date Opened- 4/12

EOS CCA - Experian, Equifax, TransUnion (DV Email sent 11/15/2012 to direct contact received via this forum)

Balances- $678, $1,518, $378

Date Opened- 8/1/2012

PACIFIC CREDIT EXCHANGE - Experian, Equifax, TransUnion (DV Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balance- $9,016 (Repo Purchase)

Date Opened- 2/1/2012

MIDLAND FUNDING - Experian, Equifax, TransUnion (DV Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balances- $461, $2,002

Date Opened- 12/1/2012, 11/1/2011

PINNACLE CREDIT SERVICES- Experian, Equifax, TransUnion (DV Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balance- $1,405

Date Opened- 12/1/2009

ALLGATE FINANCIAL LLC - Experian (DV Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balance- $475

Date Opened- 5/1/2009

RASH CURTIS & ASSOCIATES - Experian, TransUnion (DV Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balance- $318

Date Opened- 6/1/2008

Charge Offs:

FIRST PREMIER BANK (623 Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balances- $469, $518

Date Opened- 8/1/2009, 1/1/2009

A - L FINANCIAL CORP (Auto Loan) - Experian (623 Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balances- $9,016

Date Opened- 2/1/2009

DSNB MACYS (623 Letter sent  11/14/2012)

Balance- $319

Date Opened-1/1/2007

CAP ONE

Balance- $0

Date Opened-10/1/2006

Current Accounts:

CAPITAL BANK (Open Sky Secured CC)

Balance- $282/300 (Never Late) WIll pay down $250 by next week to help util before statement cuts on 12/3

Date Opened-8/1/2012

First Tech Federal Credit Union (Secured Personal Loan)

Balance- $1000 

Date Opened- 3 days ago (11/12/2012)
Payments: $29/mo over 36 months

Interest Rate: 3.1% (Only $49 interest over 3 years if i end up making minimum payments)

Applied Bank Secured Credit Card

Balance- $0/$200 

Date Opened- 3 days ago (11/12/2012)

Credit Scores (FAKO)

Experian- 513

Equifax- 517

TransUnion- 541

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

All collections besides Rash Curtis & Associates fell off with DV

Midland i challenged Tmobile through BBB and TMOBILE investigated and decided im not responsible for the 2 accounts that were sent to midland so they recalled the debts.

First premier i sent them a 623 on both accounts they investigated and found i wasnt responsible for accounts and delete from report

Pacific credit exchange was the last baddie to come off my equifax which is now completely clean, minus the 30 something inquiries

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pull my credit daily and as soon as I saw Pacific Credit Exchange fall of Equifax (my last baddie on there) i immediately applied that morning for a refinance through USAA on my auto loan that i had with Santander @17% interest rate. I thought to myself what the hell might as well apply for a CC with them since I knew they exclusively pulled Equifax. I then went to credit pull database and looked up all creditors that pull Equifax.  No multi browser trick. Since I have a fraud alert on all my reports I had to obviously call in and verify some info with USAA and was suprised to learn that they approved me within 5 minutes for refi @ 3.74% and the CSRtold me underwriter was going to give me a package deal with a CC approval @ 7500.

I then applied Nordstrom, Chase, CITI

Nordstrom was a decline due to inquiries tried to RECON no go..

Penfed declined for CC and LOC due to inquiries and not enough established time.

Chase i immediately called in after i recieved 7-10 day notice and talked to analyst answered some questions told her I had my identity stolen before which is why I had fraud alert on credit report and that a lot of th inquiries werent authorized by me. TO my surprise she also pulled transunion and asked me about the Pacific Credit Exchange CA for 9k that was on there (thought to myself im screwed) explained to her that its already been removed from equifax and experian that I was still waiting on TU to delete it that it was a result of fraudlent auto loan. She came back on the line and told me she was putting in a recommendation on an approval for $2000 pending me going through identity verification with verifications dept. She transferred me over they requested I list a phone number on my credit report for them to be able to contact me. WHich I did answered some questions and told me it would be about a week for them to process. Called back and told I was denied due to failed verification. I was Pissed so i called back and explained everything to next lending rep and explained everything to her so im goign back and forth with them looks like i will be approved after Equifax updates my phone number on fraud alert which takes up to 3 days. I was promised a call back on tuesday.

Discover I apped recieved a message right away to call them which I did the next morning answered some questions (same thing they also pulled TU) and was approved for $1,500 0% interest for 14 months! Plus the card is beautiful recieved a compliment the first time i ever used it lol

CIti i apped and was instantlty denied for multiple applications called RECON explained I was intitially declined due to items on my credit report and that I have since then had my report corrected and that I was instructed to reapply once I had the issues corrected. They asked some questions and said they would resubmit my application for processing. Recieved a letter yesterday (about week later) saying they couldnt verify all the info on my application to call them. I called and rep asked me for name dob etc told me to give him a couple minutes to process my application put me on hold few mins later came back and said I was approved for $2800! Was surprised didnt even ask me any questions regarding my report. Surprising considering CITI is notorious for declining apps due to inquiries.

Im guessing the fraud alert on my report actually helped them take the inquiries out of the equation. UTIL was VERY low when I apped.

Open SKy CC $0/$300

1st Tech $131/$2000

Applied bank $0/200 (doesnt report to equifax)

Hope this helps!

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover and Chase also pulled TU on recon.

USAA only Equifax

Before i called to recon Citi I froze my EXP and TU, I should have done this before I apped for Discover and Chase I prob would have recieved higher limits

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.