Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another new moderator

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another new moderator

I'm currently a mod over at a truck enthusiast forum and I used to be a mod for a very big gaming tournament site. I know how much time you do put into such duties. Thank you for your time for sure! And congrats again beamin! 

Message 31 of 38
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I'm sure beaming (or beamer or beam) will do well. (I could call her beamMeup, but who doesn't call haulingthescoreup hauling? Smiley Wink )

Maybe, as hauling wrote, it's "like a hostess (or host) at a ridiculously large cocktail party." The gender distinction, if any, reminds me of Dave Ramsey, whose updated Financial Peace Revisited includes a chapter on couples and marriage, which I recently happened to read.

He was shamelessly sterotyping men to be associated with battles and adventure and women with relationships and security. I don't know if he really believes this or he anticipates the approach will click with readers and as such sell more books. Certainly men and females overlap somewhat.

One thing I've noticed though is that within a mixed mod team the men generally do by far most of stuff like thread moving. Bouncer stuff more than hostess stuff, I take it. Or technical vs talk. Or maybe a community leader is a hostess (host) and a moderator is a bouncer?

I'd better stop here. Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I'm sure beaming (or beamer or beam) will do well. (I could call her beamMeup, but who doesn't call haulingthescoreup hauling? Smiley Wink )

Maybe, as hauling wrote, it's "like a hostess (or host) at a ridiculously large cocktail party." The gender distinction, if any, reminds me of Dave Ramsey, whose updated Financial Peace Revisited includes a chapter on couples and marriage, which I recently happened to read.

He was shamelessly sterotyping men to be associated with battles and adventure and women with relationships and security. I don't know if he really believes this or he anticipates the approach will click with readers and as such sell more books. Certainly men and females overlap somewhat.

One thing I've noticed though is that within a mixed mod team the men generally do by far most of stuff like thread moving. Bouncer stuff more than hostess stuff, I take it. Or technical vs talk. Or maybe a community leader is a hostess (host) and a moderator is a bouncer?

I'd better stop here. Smiley Very Happy

Well, I understand that this is a common perception. But I don't know that it's true here. The only time I hesitated in moving a thread was when it was by a newbie, because I still believe that they don't see the arrow for their missing thread, and they often don't think to click on their own names to find out where the heck their thread went. Smiley Sad So we lose them, never to find them again.

As for the bouncer end of things, boy, do I miss banning! Smiley Very Happy  (insert maniacal laughter here) And trolls. Dang, we just don't get good trolls here any more. Smiley Tongue

I think that any differences that you see here are often a function of time zone, more than anything else. Spammers generally hit in the wee hours, so the Eastern time zone mods often find them first, or fused out in Hawaii if he's up late. Whereas if you're more in the western end of things, you're more apt to catch the new and tentative and confused.

In the end, it probably comes down to individual personality more than anything else. We all have our soft spots and our hot buttons, so we react differently to various stimuli. And you'd be surprised how little that follows assumed gender roles. I think the male mods are often more tender-hearted than I was, back when I was a mod. You're married, right? Surely you know about women when we get mad. Smiley Happy

Community leaders can't move threads or ban, so we just keep the canapes coming! And btw, we do have plenty of club soda and coffee on hand for those who don't indulge. That's part of being good hosts and hostesses. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 38
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Well, I understand that this is a common perception. But I don't know that it's true here. The only time I hesitated in moving a thread was when it was by a newbie, because I still believe that they don't see the arrow for their missing thread, and they often don't think to click on their own names to find out where the heck their thread went. Smiley Sad So we lose them, never to find them again.

As for the bouncer end of things, boy, do I miss banning! Smiley Very Happy  (insert maniacal laughter here) And trolls. Dang, we just don't get good trolls here any more. Smiley Tongue

I think that any differences that you see here are often a function of time zone, more than anything else. Spammers generally hit in the wee hours, so the Eastern time zone mods often find them first, or fused out in Hawaii if he's up late. Whereas if you're more in the western end of things, you're more apt to catch the new and tentative and confused.

In the end, it probably comes down to individual personality more than anything else. We all have our soft spots and our hot buttons, so we react differently to various stimuli. And you'd be surprised how little that follows assumed gender roles. I think the male mods are often more tender-hearted than I was, back when I was a mod. You're married, right? Surely you know about women when we get mad. Smiley Happy

Community leaders can't move threads or ban, so we just keep the canapes coming! And btw, we do have plenty of club soda and coffee on hand for those who don't indulge. That's part of being good hosts and hostesses. Smiley Happy

That's a good point HTSU. I hadn't thought about that.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 34 of 38
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 35 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And I need to stop TJ'ing this thread and give it back (and give it up! Smiley Very Happy) to beamMEup!

Congrats once again.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 36 of 38
score_building
Senior Contributor

Congrats beamMEup!  Also thought you were already a mod for some reason, probably my confusion with the tag 'community leader' in any case cheers to your former community leader and now mod success!  

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 37 of 38
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Congrats beaMeup!

Here we go again...
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.