Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another newbie question about AU accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another newbie question about AU accounts

So I searched the forum and found a lot of great info about being an AU on an account, but now I have a few questions i couldn't find answers to. So here is the situation, if I wanted to get on one of my parents accouts as an AU for the obvious increase in history of accounts would their rate be effected by my "not so good" credit? Also would the limit of the card be reported, so lets say they have 40% util on that card, i.e. 4k of 10k CL, does this mean that the AU account (Amex or BofA, they have both) gets reported as a revolving account with 10k CL and 4k balance? Also how soon till the age of the account is reflected in my overall account age??? Also does the CC company run my CR or not? And how would my parents go about adding me, is it just a simple phone call?
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Another newbie question about AU accounts

@Anonymous wrote:
So I searched the forum and found a lot of great info about being an AU on an account, but now I have a few questions i couldn't find answers to. So here is the situation, if I wanted to get on one of my parents accouts as an AU for the obvious increase in history of accounts would their rate be effected by my "not so good" credit? Nope, nothing from your report is reflected on their reports, and because AUs are not responsible for repaying the debt, the creditor doesn't care about your credit.
Also would the limit of the card be reported, so lets say they have 40% util on that card, i.e. 4k of 10k CL, does this mean that the AU account (Amex or BofA, they have both) gets reported as a revolving account with 10k CL and 4k balance? Yup!  You've got it.  That CL and balance will reflect in your overall util calculation.
Also how soon till the age of the account is reflected in my overall account age??? You inherit the full history for the account, including its entire age as soon as it appears on your report.  So once BofA or Amex updates to the CRAs, your AAoA and length of history will increase accordingly.
Also does the CC company run my CR or not? I have never heard of this happening, see the above about AUs not being responsible for the debt.
And how would my parents go about adding me, is it just a simple phone call? Yup, I do believe so. There may be a form to fill out (honestly not sure), but the phone call should get the form mailed out if that is the case.

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I searched the forum and found a lot of great info about being an AU on an account, but now I have a few questions i couldn't find answers to. So here is the situation, if I wanted to get on one of my parents accouts as an AU for the obvious increase in history of accounts would their rate be effected by my "not so good" credit? Nope, nothing from your report is reflected on their reports, and because AUs are not responsible for repaying the debt, the creditor doesn't care about your credit.
Also would the limit of the card be reported, so lets say they have 40% util on that card, i.e. 4k of 10k CL, does this mean that the AU account (Amex or BofA, they have both) gets reported as a revolving account with 10k CL and 4k balance? Yup!  You've got it.  That CL and balance will reflect in your overall util calculation.
Also how soon till the age of the account is reflected in my overall account age??? You inherit the full history for the account, including its entire age as soon as it appears on your report.  So once BofA or Amex updates to the CRAs, your AAoA and length of history will increase accordingly.
Also does the CC company run my CR or not? I have never heard of this happening, see the above about AUs not being responsible for the debt.
And how would my parents go about adding me, is it just a simple phone call? Yup, I do believe so. There may be a form to fill out (honestly not sure), but the phone call should get the form mailed out if that is the case.

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

SCF thank you, you are aweseme, all the info i was looking for
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.