Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another question about utilization...

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Another question about utilization...

Hello all,

I’m fairly new to the forum and in the short time that I’ve been here I’ve read and learned a lot, so thank you in advance! With that being said, I do have a question. I’m sure this question has been asked many ways and many times, so I apologize in advance. However, I can’t seem to find a clear answer to my question about utilization.

Currently I have 3 cards with $10K available amongst the 3. What I’ve been doing thus far is paying 2 off in full before statement cut resulting in 0 balance and 0 utilization. One the 3rd card I’ve been letting $2 bucks report every month just to show usage…but with such a small balance I still show 0% utilization on that card as well. I’ve read that this isn’t quite the right way to go about optimizing my score. So, my question is, should I be leaving 1% on each card, spreading $100 across the 3 cards to show 1% of the $10K I have available, or can I just pay 2 of them off in full like I’ve been doing, and then leave a $100 balance on just the one? Any advice provided is greatly appreciated…and again, please accept my apology for asking a question that I’m sure has been answered many times…but my dyslexic brain just can’t seem to grasp the answer from what I’ve read thus far.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another question about utilization...

What you were doing was almost right.

0% on 2 cards and 2-9% on the last one for best FICO score.

Though, if your goal is CLI then just let them report everything to show usage.
Message 2 of 3
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Re: Another question about utilization...

I try to leave 0 on all but one if I'm planning on squeezing the best score out for a reason, otherwise I dont much worry about it to be honest.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.