Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another reason to love Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another reason to love Discover

I'm glad they're doing this, but the cynic in me thinks they're using it as a branding marketing opportunity.  Also, you don't want to be the sole company not doing something, as its a bad  branding image.  The earlier you jump on something like this the better it is for your brand, so I'm not surprised to see Chase out there first.

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BirchBarlow wrote:

So I take it they'll be passing the cost off onto those unaffected by Hurricane Harvey?  I certainly understand that hundreds of people were killed and thousands are now homeless, but when corporations make these philanthropic gestures, the rational cynic in me tells me it's purely an opportunistic act for a PR boost and they'll likely pass the costs onto the consumer in the form of higher prices for goods and services.  Hell just look at how the price of gasoline spiked everywhere basically overnight.  Corporations aren't benevolent, they do everything they do to bolster their bottom line, and if they can score free PR points, all the better.

On another note, not to sound callous, but when a person chooses to live in a disaster zone, is it not incumbent upon them to insure themselves against possible (probable) property loss such as that incurred by Hurricane Harvey?

While some companies may take advantage (Best Buy and gas companies), I believe most will not. As for it being an opportunity for PR, who cares? The people affected need help and I personally don't care how they get as long as they get it. Almost everyone of my cards and other services are offering a way to donate. I'm glad because again...those affected need help. 

As as far as disaster zones......I'd say 95 - 99% of everyone lives in one. From flooding, tornados, droughts, hurricanes, tsunamis, blizzards, earthquakes....Mother nature does her own thing lol! 

I live in Nashville. Yes we get tornados.....but a few years ago, we were flooded, badly. I've never seen anything like it in my life. I honestly can't think of a single place on earth that couldn't become a disaster zone. But I'm thankful everyone comes together to help when it happens. Just my 2 cents. 

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the age-old question, does true altruism really exist, or do people and entities always get a personal benefit out of their charity. I agree, though, as long as people get the help they need, that is what's important. And if I somehow have to pay a little more, well, it's because a company I have a relationship helped those people, and that's okay with me. 

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The above comments got me thinking. Although I agree I think in this case it may be more genuine and not so much PR. After all I only found after logging into my acct. It's not like it was prime time TV. Regardless of the reasoning it's the right thing to due.
Although it does upset me greatly when disasters are used as a photo op.
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The above comments got me thinking. Although I agree I think in this case it may be more genuine and not so much PR. After all I only found after logging into my acct. It's not like it was prime time TV. Regardless of the reasoning it's the right thing to due.
Although it does upset me greatly when disasters are used as a photo op.

Oh Chase was all over the major news sources because they were first.  Discover just wanted a piece of the PR, but was a bit late to the party.

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have abandoned all ATMs for customers in the areas affected by Hurricane Harvey, and as compensation are reversing other fees — such as late fees — for all of our consumer products, including credit cards and checking accounts. Of course, we will continue to buggar your credit report with negative information. Mobile ATMs are also being deployed to  unimpacted areas, such as Monaco. Sufice it to say we are using this wonderful opportunity  terrible tragedy to create new accounts for all you folks that are  offline. Follow our Twitter feed @Ask_WellsFargo.  #youarewelcome

Message 26 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We have abandoned all ATMs for customers in the areas affected by Hurricane Harvey, and as compensation are reversing other fees — such as late fees — for all of our consumer products, including credit cards and checking accounts. Of course, we will continue to buggar your credit report with negative information. Mobile ATMs are also being deployed to  unimpacted areas, such as Monaco. Sufice it to say we are using this wonderful opportunity@  terrible tragedy to create new accounts for all you folks that are  offline. Follow our Twitter feed @Anonymous_WellsFargo.  #youarewelcome

This just goes to show how hard it is to undo (properly earned!) negative PR.   It seems that WF is doing something comparable to Chase and Discover, but getting no love...

Message 27 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We have abandoned all ATMs for customers in the areas affected by Hurricane Harvey, and as compensation are reversing other fees — such as late fees — for all of our consumer products, including credit cards and checking accounts. Of course, we will continue to buggar your credit report with negative information. Mobile ATMs are also being deployed to  unimpacted areas, such as Monaco. Sufice it to say we are using this wonderful opportunity@  terrible tragedy to create new accounts for all you folks that are  offline. Follow our Twitter feed @Anonymous_WellsFargo.  #youarewelcome

This just goes to show how hard it is to undo (properly earned!) negative PR.   It seems that WF is doing something comparable to Chase and Discover, but getting no love...

Well, WF did just announce that there were an additional 1.4 million potentially unauthorized accounts...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/business/dealbook/wells-fargo-accounts.html

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect! Thanks for sharing this...Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 33
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@BirchBarlow wrote:

On another note, not to sound callous, but when a person chooses to live in a disaster zone, is it not incumbent upon them to insure themselves against possible (probable) property loss such as that incurred by Hurricane Harvey?

Not a fair criticism.  Read this paragraph from the August 29 edition of The Washington Post (emphasis added by me):

Part of the problem is the vast majority of people hit by Harvey weren't even in a high-risk flood zone, says Chuck Watson, founder of Enki Holdings, which has estimated storm damages for years. Harvey is an unusual storm because it's triggering so much additional flooding as levees, dams and reservoirs overflow. “It's blowing up our usual models,” Watson says.

Those who lived in the high-risk zone, and did not buy flood insurance, acted irresponsibly.  But if you don't live in a flood zone, how can you be faulted for not buying flood insurance?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.