cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 3% CB Travel Credit Cards with no AF?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any 3% CB Travel Credit Cards with no AF?

most credit unions do pull. not saying they aren't out there, but i have yet to find one in my area (worth getting) that doesn't pull.
Message 51 of 58
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
most credit unions do pull. not saying they aren't out there, but i have yet to find one in my area (worth getting) that doesn't pull.

Historical reasons I suspect; there's no issue with coding a membership inquiry for verification purposes as soft as I understand it currently.  That's not even playing loose with the rules like the SP CLI crowd.

Do wish I'd known about the Texas PTA option when I applied for membership back in August; thought could get in with my Dad but he dropped of the radar and I guess doesn't want to play membership shennanigans (for all that he's lived in Austin since '92 heh).  Mostly was just trying to hedge my bets in case I do wind up moving back to Texas but admittedly I have time on that one now.

        
Message 52 of 58
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I have been pulled for other credit unions.   For example, Andrews (with a note saying it was mortgage related), DCU (x2) and Penfed. 

I was just saying that RBFCU didn't hard pull my credit to join.  SSFCU said they were not going to HP just to join, but I can't verify that since I also app'd for a CC the same day.   Other CU's that didn't HP me to join in the last 2 years are Alliant, Elements, SDFCU and  NC SECU.  Although, I have read SDFCU is now HP to join.  I was more surprised that there are now reports of RBFCU and SSFCU HP'g TU just for membership.

Message 53 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

the reason RBFCU HPs is to qualify you for other products
Message 54 of 58
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Neither of the my two credit unions HP me to join.  They are like any other financial institution and HP when you apply for credit.

Message 55 of 58
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

Security Service Power Travel Rewards

https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/loans-credit/credit-cards/Pages/travel-rewards.aspx

I was really trying out to find a way to get this card, but what kills it is the need to open a savings account and maintain a $100 balance (which is fine if you utilize their bank account services) but if you're outside their footprint it will make it hard to use their checking/savings. Otherwise it seems like an ideal card.

The SSFCU Power Travel Rewards WMC is my absolute favorite because it gives 3.3% (you get a 10% bonus at the end of the year for all rewards) on the categories where my spend is highest.  In addition to travel, it's also 3.3% on dining and gas (I use Sallie Mae for gas so that's a backup).  One caveat is that you redeem for gift cards at full rate, but I wouldn't imagine anyone would have any trouble because they include most of the biggest retailers & restaurant chains (including Amazon).

I can tell you that I do not actually keep $100 in my savings account...didn't know that was a requirement but they haven't said anything.  I think my checking & savings both have about $.01 in them.  I live in California but was able to set up an account because I travel frequently to my company's HQ in Denver, which is part of their service area.

In addition to the rewards, the benefits of the card are exemplary.  The interest range is 10-11%, so in addition to being one of the best rewards cards, it also serves as my backup low-interest rate card.  SSFCU does also offer a no-rewards low interest rate card at around 6.5%.  The Power Travle Rewards has no fees of any kind, including no AF, no FTF, no BT and even no cash advance fee.

Really great card for people who like straight forward rewards instead of points programs, and who travel & dine a lot.

Thanks for the info! So to get the full value of the points, they would need to be redeemed for Gift Cards? or Can you get the full value statement credit / check ? 

sorry to bring up the old topic

an update

there was actually an option for doing the statement credit, its just nobody realize it

I just confirmed with CS at SSFCU that you can do statement credits from your power travel card. The increment is $25 for 2500 of your points

Message 56 of 58
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

Security Service Power Travel Rewards

https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/loans-credit/credit-cards/Pages/travel-rewards.aspx

I was really trying out to find a way to get this card, but what kills it is the need to open a savings account and maintain a $100 balance (which is fine if you utilize their bank account services) but if you're outside their footprint it will make it hard to use their checking/savings. Otherwise it seems like an ideal card.

The SSFCU Power Travel Rewards WMC is my absolute favorite because it gives 3.3% (you get a 10% bonus at the end of the year for all rewards) on the categories where my spend is highest.  In addition to travel, it's also 3.3% on dining and gas (I use Sallie Mae for gas so that's a backup).  One caveat is that you redeem for gift cards at full rate, but I wouldn't imagine anyone would have any trouble because they include most of the biggest retailers & restaurant chains (including Amazon).

I can tell you that I do not actually keep $100 in my savings account...didn't know that was a requirement but they haven't said anything.  I think my checking & savings both have about $.01 in them.  I live in California but was able to set up an account because I travel frequently to my company's HQ in Denver, which is part of their service area.

In addition to the rewards, the benefits of the card are exemplary.  The interest range is 10-11%, so in addition to being one of the best rewards cards, it also serves as my backup low-interest rate card.  SSFCU does also offer a no-rewards low interest rate card at around 6.5%.  The Power Travle Rewards has no fees of any kind, including no AF, no FTF, no BT and even no cash advance fee.

Really great card for people who like straight forward rewards instead of points programs, and who travel & dine a lot.

Thanks for the info! So to get the full value of the points, they would need to be redeemed for Gift Cards? or Can you get the full value statement credit / check ? 

sorry to bring up the old topic

an update

there was actually an option for doing the statement credit, its just nobody realize it

I just confirmed with CS at SSFCU that you can do statement credits from your power travel card. The increment is $25 for 2500 of your points

Another geo-limited CU card...  Smiley Sad

Message 57 of 58
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Another geo-limited CU card...  Smiley Sad

Right, but if the card was a full metal one, some myfico members would consider relocation....

Message 58 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.