cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Re: Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

Well, I have pretty good experience with Chase. Smiley Indifferent

Message 61 of 83
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Any card managed by FIA isn't touching my wallet.

Waiting a few months before applyying or getting a WalMart card would have been better than Chase Freedom. Service and website are fine but it's been stuck at $3K 2+ years despite regular use. Can't pull the plug on it right now but they'll be first to go when utilization won't suffer too much.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 62 of 83
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

@drkaje:

Is it BofA or a partner card? In my short experience with BofA, they have been very generous. I can always call up an analyst and see if I can get an increase or if I qualify for anything mroe than what I have. I am not sure FIA partner cards would have that ease of access to credit analysts though. If it is BofA, make sure you call them! The number I use is 888-260-4696 or 866-421-8153. Also, if the first person doesn't give you the increase you are looking for, call back. These people are making individual, personal judgement-based choices, so you are bound to eventually get someone who will give you what you want or meet you halfway, at least.

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 63 of 83
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

@parakleet: I did cancel my Freedom after 3 months. After the poor customer service, insulting interest rate, and toy credit limit (Which at the time and for the foreseeable future, I would be unwilling to take a HP to increase), I really didn't see any way that they could make me a happy customer, so I decided to cut my losses. I know it probably didn't do good things to my credit score, but I decided that I had just had enough of them. Especially when I had several other cards that I was happy with.

It's unfortunate that you did close it, but that's up to you. I was approved for 1000 for the Amazon Visa at 21.24 and the Chase Freedom  for 3000 at 17.99. They are now at 5800 and 13000 just one year later and I have much more credit with them on four more cards and have two cards with a 10.24 interest rate. Time will always make things go your way in the credit world. I know people say it's the "principle", but did you plan on carrying a balance on the card anyway? If not, why did it matter. You shouldn't feel insulted because of an interest rate; they aren't giving it to you to make fun of you. Cards with rewards will usually have a high interest rate, especially from big lenders. The two 10.24 cards I mentioned are Ink cards and they usually give lower rates for those.

I don't know how long ago this way, but perhaps if you had kept it, the limit would be higher and interest rate lower. 1200 Doesn't seem to be too off from the cards you have right now. You also mentioned having to send student documentation to Discover for their card, so could that be why Chase gave you a low limit? Low interest rates are usually reserved for people with a very long and perfect history. A short history isn't likely to get the lowest interest rate. If you want a card with a low interest rate, I suggest a credit union or at least a card that doesn't have rewards.

@chwebb1 wrote:

A card from my local credit union: This was my first credit card. The CL was never increased even when I used the card. The CL remained at $500, which made the card useless to me. I recently cancelled this card. 

Not all lenders will increase the limit without the customer requesting it. Did you ever attempt an increase on it?

Message 64 of 83
Startome
Regular Contributor

It just amazes me sometimes how people think about money. I've spent basically a life living in poverty, I have to be thankful for everything I have, everything I'm given, and everything I earn. I however have spent much of my working life around very successful people who easily make hundreds or more times what I make, some even into the millions. Some of these people, despite having all of their money, are thankful for everything, and never let their money effect how they regard others, or their possessions. However some people work for something, and become too proud of it. They let it go to their heads. Every time I see someone say that a limit, CLI, Interest Rate, etc are just insulting, or they feel demeaned by it; I can't help but think wow, that person doesn't really get it. Being disappointed is one thing, feeling insulted is another. If the lender thought you wouldn't be a risk to them or their jobs, they'd have given it to you when you called in and spoke to them. And what they gave you, whether it be 500, 1000, 5000, or more, is something you don't have secured, it's given on good faith. Be thankful for what they extended to you, what they trusted you with, because they didn't have to give you anything. You are not entitled to their business or Credit Card, they are a service provider, and entrust it to you. Be thankful for what you have, because some people will work just as hard as you or harder, and still never have what you have

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 65 of 83
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

BofA - Wont Touch'em with a 10ft. pole. Horrible experience with my Checking Account, closed everything I had with them and moved to Citi and PNC, couldn't be happier. 

Message 66 of 83
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Startome wrote:

It just amazes me sometimes how people think about money. I've spent basically a life living in poverty, I have to be thankful for everything I have, everything I'm given, and everything I earn. I however have spent much of my working life around very successful people who easily make hundreds or more times what I make, some even into the millions. Some of these people, despite having all of their money, are thankful for everything, and never let their money effect how they regard others, or their possessions. However some people work for something, and become too proud of it. They let it go to their heads. Every time I see someone say that a limit, CLI, Interest Rate, etc are just insulting, or they feel demeaned by it; I can't help but think wow, that person doesn't really get it. Being disappointed is one thing, feeling insulted is another. If the lender thought you wouldn't be a risk to them or their jobs, they'd have given it to you when you called in and spoke to them. And what they gave you, whether it be 500, 1000, 5000, or more, is something you don't have secured, it's given on good faith. Be thankful for what they extended to you, what they trusted you with, because they didn't have to give you anything. You are not entitled to their business or Credit Card, they are a service provider, and entrust it to you. Be thankful for what you have, because some people will work just as hard as you or harder, and still never have what you have

Interesting view point, very well written. I think when you are on this board and hear comments like that, it  should not be taken too seriously at all. This is a board about credit cards so of course posters are going to be passionate, that is what this place is about. I think the phrases that "amaze" you are not always said with seriousness, this is a much narrowed subject board (credit) so some are going to use "passionate" language and posts, I don't judge them on it, in fact most of them have helped me a great deal.

Message 67 of 83
Startome
Regular Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:
Interesting view point, very well written. I think when you are on this board and hear comments like that, it  should not be taken too seriously at all. This is a board about credit cards so of course posters are going to be passionate, that is what this place is about. I think the phrases that "amaze" you are not always said with seriousness, this is a much narrowed subject board (credit) so some are going to use "passionate" language and posts, I don't judge them on it, in fact most of them have helped me a great deal.

Thank you =)

That is very true though, some seem to be very serious about it, but others do use the terminology as you suggest. I know of a couple who are very relatable to me and have taught me a lot as well. I definitely do not mean to imply I am anything but thankful for this forum and the advice/people it contains  =D

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 68 of 83
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Startome wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Thank you =)

That is very true though, some seem to be very serious about it, but others do use the terminology as you suggest. I know of a couple who are very relatable to me and have taught me a lot as well. I definitely do not mean to imply I am anything but thankful for this forum and the advice/people it contains  =D

your welcome and that is why I posted back, great point of view I will actually think of the right words now becuase of it, I get so used to "the talk" we use here!!  LOL

Message 69 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Startome wrote:

. Being disappointed is one thing, feeling insulted is another. If the lender thought you wouldn't be a risk to them or their jobs, they'd have given it to you when you called in and spoke to them. And what they gave you, whether it be 500, 1000, 5000, or more, is something you don't have secured, it's given on good faith. Be thankful for what they extended to you, what they trusted you with, because they didn't have to give you anything. You are not entitled to their business or Credit Card, they are a service provider, and entrust it to you. Be thankful for what you have, because some people will work just as hard as you or harder, and still never have what you have

As said by others, probably many posters don't really mean "insulted" in the normal way.  But... if I am not allowed to feel insulted, why on earth should I be thankful?  It's just a business transaction, there are large numbers of lenders and borrowers, and we can all shop around in our role.   If bank X offers me a $500 CL, and bank Y offers me a $5K CL with the same conditions, while I shouldn't feel insulted, I certainly don't need to be thankful to bank X.  I can just contemptously reject their lowball offer!

Message 70 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.