cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Any CC lenders that you would never do biz with?

@napplegate wrote:

Customer service is just as important for me as the reward structure that a card offers.  For those reasons I refuse to deal with Capital One or Barclays.  The customer service is soo epically bad that even the somewhat ok rewards structure is completely eclipsed but the ineptitude of the CSR's.  Chase and American Express have been nothing but exceptional to deal with in both exemplary service and rewards.

Completely agree.  While I'm still in the credit recovering process, I don't have anything against any lenders.  But I do see many other threads, in negativity towards lenders like Wells Fargo, Cap1 and/or Barclays for their awful "customer service".  I understand that every lender has its rules & guidelines, and that one must follow, but I think customer service should be the same everywhere.  For that matter, I was really curious on what others would say...is it either because of the customer service or the structure of each lenders program.  For me, it is a privilege for any lenders to grant me w/ any credit limit,  and I'm sure at one point I may/ may not apply w/ these lenders, but knowing how each lender is w/ their recon/customer service, it just makes me to be more cautious and to be more prepared.  

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 21 of 83
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker yes I realize they all have skeletons, but coupled with my other hangups with Barclays (poor customer service, moody analysts, AA, and on and on...) makes it easier for me to dislike them Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 83
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@youngman1234 wrote:
CHASE !!!

Omg the employees there are a bunch of Idiots... Long story short I had about 60k worth of cc with them.. They closed my accounts for bull**bleep** risk reason.. There conclusion was I was too young to have that much credit... I was like ok and the 300k I paid u in the past 1 year was peanuts right.. I told the executive office lady who was adamant on the fact the credit report they they pulled last year showed too much utilization so based on that even a year later they won't approve another card. I told her that it's true reports update every 30 days.. (Yes) so pull my most recent and see what u see now she goes no sir based on the report from last year we can't open it. I said to her screw u and eff chase.... Chase has been doing this alot lately....

Youngman,

Bad stuff from Chase.  But aren't you contradicting yourself a bit?  The thread is companies you would never do business with, but you are still trying to get another card from them.  Hate to say it but more of a I won't go out with the Prom Queen because she has turned me down everytime I have asked her.  VS. I won't go out with the Prom Queen, because she is a pain in the !@%.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 23 of 83
enharu
Super Contributor

@youngman:

Risk is risk. Even if you paid them over 300k, it does not change the fact that you are a risky customer.

For instance, someone who abuse MS excessively can easily rack up over 5 digit charges in a month. Since the money is then converted back into cash, that individual can easily pay the balance in full. However it does not change the fact he's risky. In fact from the bank's perspective he's a lot riskier.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 83
red259
Super Contributor

I won't use Bank of America ever again. I've had really bad experiences with them and to be honest they don't have even a single product that I would be remotely interested in. I hear bad things about citi at times, but they have a few cards I may want and I have not had any interactions with them at all (other than the pre-quals they send me). I have had good and bad experiences with Chase, but they have the cards that I want so I have to deal with them. I don't have any Discover cards although dealings I had with them in the past were positive. Maybe someday I will get a Discover It card, but I am just not super interested in any of their products at the moment. My experience with Amex new account reps honestly hasn't been that great. I'm not willing to write amex off, but I have been treated much better by the customer service of other companies. Customer service at cap 1 isn't the brightest and most of the time they won't be able to answer your questions, but I have always found them polite and I have had a positive experience with cap 1.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 83
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

I am very new to the credit card and credit scene (not even 3 months into my credit life) but I have to say, Capital One is at the top of my bad list. The cashback rewards are nice, but the customer support is just awful - atleast in my experience.

I had to call Capital One to get a new account number and I could barely understand the person I was speaking too. She had to of been reading from a script verbatim, to the point where it sounded unnatural on top of a terribly thick eastern accent.  I have absolutley no desire to open a new Capital One credit card, checking or savings account and am not proud to take out my Capital One card for this reason.

On the other hand, calling AMEX with online account trouble was casual and pleasant, but calling Discover to apply over the phone, and then later in the week to activate my card was just the best and most enjoyable interaction I've had with a company - ever.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 26 of 83
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

+1 on Discover. Every single time I've contacted them it has been incredibly pleasant. Amex and Chase are a close 2nd for me but I have definitely found Discover to be the more consistent in the overall experience than others.
Message 27 of 83
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Capital One's CS could be completely automated and it'd probably be an improvement.  I'm being completely serious about that.  It's ridiculous that you could have to call an executive line to get anything done or get any sort of intelligible answer.

Message 28 of 83
red259
Super Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

I am very new to the credit card and credit scene (not even 3 months into my credit life) but I have to say, Capital One is at the top of my bad list. The cashback rewards are nice, but the customer support is just awful - atleast in my experience.

I had to call Capital One to get a new account number and I could barely understand the person I was speaking too. She had to of been reading from a script verbatim, to the point where it sounded unnatural on top of a terribly thick eastern accent.  I have absolutley no desire to open a new Capital One credit card, checking or savings account and am not proud to take out my Capital One card for this reason.

On the other hand, calling AMEX with online account trouble was casual and pleasant, but calling Discover to apply over the phone, and then later in the week to activate my card was just the best and most enjoyable interaction I've had with a company - ever.

This is why you can't really judge as everyone has different experiences. My experience between Cap 1 and Amex were the exact opposite when it came to understanding the person. I called cap 1 and got someone who sounded like they were based in Florida and was perfectly pleasant. I called Amex and got someone and I couldn't understand a word they were saying and they were unpleasant on top of that (I have called amex twice and both times I get what sounds like a foreign call center and people with heavy accents that are difficult to understand ). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 29 of 83
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

Capital 1, no more. Even after rebuilding my credit to the point where I`m getting instant approval for World cards at 15k and Amex they still refused to graduate my secured card. GE and Barclay have been very good to deal with.

Message 30 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.