Did you mean: 

Any Good Mastercard offerings?

tag
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any Good Mastercard offerings?

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@ecocredit wrote:

Why do you specifically want a mastercard? Does it offer any advantages over visa or amex? I'm just curious.

One place i go to once in a while only takes it i believe and another Gives  out free stuff when you purchase certain items with a Mastercard instead of a Visa or whatever 

It honestly doesn't sound like you have much need for it, you aren't interested in rewards, you've mentioned a vague idea of a low APR "just in case", and freebies at some place you go once in a while. I think you have several cards with a low APR for holding balances, and the freebies dont seem like you need another new cc for that. I'd recommend your checking account debit card. 

Message 41 of 45
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@lonelyisland wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@ecocredit wrote:

Why do you specifically want a mastercard? Does it offer any advantages over visa or amex? I'm just curious.

One place i go to once in a while only takes it i believe and another Gives  out free stuff when you purchase certain items with a Mastercard instead of a Visa or whatever 

It honestly doesn't sound like you have much need for it, you aren't interested in rewards, you've mentioned a vague idea of a low APR "just in case", and freebies at some place you go once in a while. I think you have several cards with a low APR for holding balances, and the freebies dont seem like you need another new cc for that. I'd recommend your checking account debit card. 

My bank is Chase and it is a Visa Smiley Sad

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 42 of 45
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Then I personally would let it go. I think the cost to your credit file, even in 6 months, wouldn't be worth the potentential benefits from your local spot. If its really important, there are prepaid mastercard options.  If you can truly PC something you already have without it effecting your AAoA, that might be another option but for now, I wouldn't pre-shop for the next thing so soon. Just my own opinion. 

Message 43 of 45
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

It usually doesn't make much sense to get a low apr card ahead of time, just in case.

If we ever needed to carry a balance, thats the time to apply for a card with 0% APR for 12-18 months or so.

It can make sense.  There are many situations where applying isn't a viable solution and one's credit may not lead to an approval or qualify for the desired offer.  It's really a call that the individual needs to make.  Some do keep low APR cards as a contingency and/or to help reduce utilization when not in use.  There's certainly the argument that a card makes for a poor safety net but relying on applying for credit when one really needs it is also a poor safety net.

That said, it doesn't seem like a card would really benefit the OP.  For "1 or 2 places" where acceptance is an issue prepaid (or other forms of payment) is an option as mentioned above if the OP does not have any other MasterCards.

Message 44 of 45
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@lonelyisland wrote:

Then I personally would let it go. I think the cost to your credit file, even in 6 months, wouldn't be worth the potentential benefits from your local spot. If its really important, there are prepaid mastercard options.  If you can truly PC something you already have without it effecting your AAoA, that might be another option but for now, I wouldn't pre-shop for the next thing so soon. Just my own opinion. 

I am pre-qualified for the quick silver one card so might just look into that and pay the AF one year and then PC it to the Quicksilver card... From what i read they PC it to a Quicksilver MC instead of the Visa 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.