cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any banks that let you keep your old card after a PC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any banks that let you keep your old card after a PC?

Since I’m a sucker for metal cards, but don’t currently have the spend to justify an annual fee, I’ve been wondering if any banks let you keep your old card and use it after a PC. For example, downgrading the CSP to a Freedom but using the CSP card, or downgrading a Savor to a SavorOne (if that’s possible) but keeping the Savor. I know that Discover lets you use your old card but I’m specifically wondering about these higher-end cards
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Any banks that let you keep your old card after a PC?

In the spirit of answering the question and not your wants here, a PC does not affect the card that is in your possession. The new card will  have a fresh CVC and expiration date but the card number is still the same so the old card can be continued to be used til the new card arrives.

Message 2 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

And to piggyback on @simplynoir's comment, I wouldn't think it would work with AmEx, say from Gold [metal] > Green (once the new card is activated) as the older card would have a different expiration date, CVV and CID.
Message 3 of 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
And to piggyback on @simplynoir's comment, I wouldn't think it would work with AmEx, say from Gold [metal] > Green (once the new card is activated) as the older card would have a different expiration date, CVV and CID.

It works for BCE -> BCP when I did my upgrade last December and believe the old card works even after activation. Perhaps downgrades and/or charge cards are treated differently I honestly don't know.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

But can’t you just not activate the new card?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple years ago I PCd from a CSP to a FU after my wife got a CSR and I was able to use my metal CSP card until the expiration date.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saeren, I recall a thread here several months ago where I read that someone had gotten a new AmEx and just threw it on their dresser or wherever without activating it. 60 or so days later it still hasn’t been activated and Amex closed it.
Message 7 of 14
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Saeren, I recall a thread here several months ago where I read that someone had gotten a new AmEx and just threw it on their dresser or wherever without activating it. 60 or so days later it still hasn’t been activated and Amex closed it.

You don't even activate amex cards, atleast not in the traditonal sense.

If I recall correctly it was a brand new account they never used and so after 60 days they probably closed it due to inactivity.

I don't think thats the same as what the OP is referring to.

My fiancee upgraded her chase card to the CSR after I left the country. Both of us have been issued new cards with a different security code and exp date but my CSP before the product change still works and I use it almost every day. It's been a little over a month now.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps “confirmation” of the card would’ve been a better word choice in my post, but yes I think you are correct that it was actually from non-use after receiving the card.
Message 9 of 14
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Since I’m a sucker for metal cards, but don’t currently have the spend to justify an annual fee, I’ve been wondering if any banks let you keep your old card and use it after a PC. For example, downgrading the CSP to a Freedom but using the CSP card, or downgrading a Savor to a SavorOne (if that’s possible) but keeping the Savor. I know that Discover lets you use your old card but I’m specifically wondering about these higher-end cards

The Chase Amazon Prime card is a metal card, no annual fee unless you count the prime membership you're already paying. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.