Did you mean: 

Any card better the uber visa ?

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Any card better the uber visa ?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

My first thought was it's ironic the Uber card has no gas rebate, my second thought was DUH, large percentage of Uber cardholders don't own a car or prefer not to drive. Smiley Wink 

You would think that an Uber card would give you better cash back than the 2% for Uber rides.  Of course you can redeem your cash back earned in the form of Uber credits so you would certainly get some free rides.  I have never used this card for an Uber ride.  I specifically got it so no matter where I eat or drink, it would be 4%.  I haven't found any place yet that didn't code it properly where I get hosed on the 4%.  If you take enough Uber rides, you would be better off getting the US Bank Cash+ and choosing the ground transportation category for 5%.

I have, and multiple times. Smiley Sad

You only get the 4% for the following MCCs:

5812 - Restaurants

5813 - Bars/Lounges

5814 - Fast food

Which means that bakeries (5462), candy shops (5441), and dairy product stores (5451) don't count. But those are fairly easy to identify. What really throws everything off is some ice cream/dessert shops could either code as 5814, or the dreaded 5499 (misc food stores). If it codes as 5499, you only get 1%.

My solution? Boycott the shops that don't code properly and deny me my 4%! #entitled Smiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 21 of 30
arkane
Established Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

—Savor $95 AF is waived the first year and has a BIG SUB though that would offset the AF for an additional 5 years and leave you with $25. So essentially 6 years with no AF at 4% cash back.

But why bother viewing it this way.   Get the Savor and meet the SUB, and keep for the first year.   Then close (or PC to no AF if possible) and get the Uber.    SUBs are yours to keep, no need to think of it as that makes it OK to pay continuing AFs when there are alternatives

4% entertainment

Unless you spend close to 10k on entertainment per year, still better to just close the Savor and get the Sync Marvel card instead which still gives you 3% on entertainment. (yes it's the one that recently got hacked)

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

nope, nothing beats the Uber Visa. aside from the regular dining, it's the only card on the market that gives you 4% back on UberEats. ive used my PNC (3%) and Discover (5%) card on UberEats and only got 1% back each time

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

My first thought was it's ironic the Uber card has no gas rebate, my second thought was DUH, large percentage of Uber cardholders don't own a car or prefer not to drive. Smiley Wink 

You would think that an Uber card would give you better cash back than the 2% for Uber rides.  Of course you can redeem your cash back earned in the form of Uber credits so you would certainly get some free rides.  I have never used this card for an Uber ride.  I specifically got it so no matter where I eat or drink, it would be 4%.  I haven't found any place yet that didn't code it properly where I get hosed on the 4%.  If you take enough Uber rides, you would be better off getting the US Bank Cash+ and choosing the ground transportation category for 5%.

I have, and multiple times. Smiley Sad

You only get the 4% for the following MCCs:

5812 - Restaurants

5813 - Bars/Lounges

5814 - Fast food

Which means that bakeries (5462), candy shops (5441), and dairy product stores (5451) don't count. But those are fairly easy to identify. What really throws everything off is some ice cream/dessert shops could either code as 5814, or the dreaded 5499 (misc food stores). If it codes as 5499, you only get 1%.

My solution? Boycott the shops that don't code properly and deny me my 4%! #entitled Smiley LOL

I got one for you.  I was inside an amusement park and was unsure how any of their places would code while inside.  I stopped at a beer stand.  They gave me the 4%!

Message 24 of 30
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got one for you.  I was inside an amusement park and was unsure how any of their places would code while inside.  I stopped at a beer stand.  They gave me the 4%!

doom-ouch-face-57d49e1c45a24

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDFinance wrote:
CSR can beat it if you redeem the points for travel but outside of a rotating category card Nothing can beat it for cash back redemption year round......

Aside from that the overlooked category is the 2% back on online purchases is pretty solid.... You would think that means online stores or subscriptions but this literally means anything u pay online with the card gets 2% ... Car insurance.... Internet bill....Any Transaction made online......etc....... Like a mini Citi double cash for online purchases....

Right, but as later posts show, it's best to get a 2% everywhere card for this than rely on the 2% category (of any card).   I would suggest that people should go for such a card ASAP, and just forget any 2% features of a card.     (Contrast this with the 3% mobile payment of the US Bank card.   That is still valuable as most people don't have a 3% everywhere card)

Yes, but remember that the Uber Visa gives a $50 rebate on popular online subscription services if you spend 5k or more in a year. So for the first $5,000, the Uber card is effectively a 5% dining/4 airfare & hotels/3% online/2% non-category card. That said, you're quite right about the Altitude Reserve, although it is less functional for those who don't have a Samsung phone and it doesn't provide extra points for online purchases.

To the OP: provided you don't spend too much over $5k a year on dining and subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, etc., no card provides more no-fuss cash back than the Uber Visa at 5%.  Of the other widely available cards (ruling out certain CU options), you can get 4.5% on the CSR and the WF Propel/Visa Sig combo, but only if you redeem the points for travel. Of the two, the CSR can be more valuable since you can transfer the points, but it has a high annual fee ($450, $150 after the $300 travel credit); the WF Propel/Visa Sig combo has no annual fee, but it does require obtaining two cards (and having a non-CC WF account for the Visa Sig).

Message 26 of 30
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDFinance wrote:
CSR can beat it if you redeem the points for travel but outside of a rotating category card Nothing can beat it for cash back redemption year round......

Aside from that the overlooked category is the 2% back on online purchases is pretty solid.... You would think that means online stores or subscriptions but this literally means anything u pay online with the card gets 2% ... Car insurance.... Internet bill....Any Transaction made online......etc....... Like a mini Citi double cash for online purchases....

Right, but as later posts show, it's best to get a 2% everywhere card for this than rely on the 2% category (of any card).   I would suggest that people should go for such a card ASAP, and just forget any 2% features of a card.     (Contrast this with the 3% mobile payment of the US Bank card.   That is still valuable as most people don't have a 3% everywhere card)

Yes, but remember that the Uber Visa gives a $50 rebate on popular online subscription services if you spend 5k or more in a year. So for the first $5,000, the Uber card is effectively a 5% dining/4 airfare & hotels/3% online/2% non-category card. That said, you're quite right about the Altitude Reserve, although it is less functional for those who don't have a Samsung phone and it doesn't provide extra points for online purchases.

To the OP: provided you don't spend too much over $5k a year on dining and subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, etc., no card provides more no-fuss cash back than the Uber Visa at 5%.  Of the other widely available cards (ruling out certain CU options), you can get 4.5% on the CSR and the WF Propel/Visa Sig combo, but only if you redeem the points for travel. Of the two, the CSR can be more valuable since you can transfer the points, but it has a high annual fee ($450, $150 after the $300 travel credit); the WF Propel/Visa Sig combo has no annual fee, but it does require obtaining two cards (and having a non-CC WF account for the Visa Sig).

True but this only works out in your favor if you already have an eligible subscription, would've renewed said subscription regardless, AND you're not spending extra just to hit that $5000 to be eligible for the $50 credit.

Lotta ifs.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True but this only works out in your favor if you already have an eligible subscription, would've renewed said subscription regardless, AND you're not spending extra just to hit that $5000 to be eligible for the $50 credit.

Lotta ifs.

The "ifs" worked out for me in year 1.  As I open more cards, it seems to me that the optimal spend for the Uber Visa is EXACTLY $5000 for the "year."  Here are the qualifying subscriptions:

Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Music, Audible, Sirius XM, Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, DirecTV NOW, the membership fee for Amazon Prime, and Shoprunner.

Tens of millions of people have at least one of those subscriptions.  Probably over 100M total who could benefit from this streaming credit.

Note, for purposes of the $50 credit, the "year" is defined by your card anniversary, not the calendar year.  

As for cell phones, I am about to switch to Samsung from Apple simply because of Samsung Pay and in preparation for getting the US Bank Altitude card.  Also, I use my Uber Visa to pay my cell phone bill in order to get the $600 insurance.

Message 28 of 30
arkane
Established Contributor

I guess I must be the outlier then, because I only have Amazon Prime, and even that I'm debating whether I want to renew if I can't get that $50 credit anymore. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 29 of 30
OmarR
Established Contributor

@arkane wrote:

I guess I must be the outlier then, because I only have Amazon Prime, and even that I'm debating whether I want to renew if I can't get that $50 credit anymore. 

Don't feel bad ( I know you don't) because I am another outlier with you. And I don't even have Amazon Prime.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.