cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any cards you are looking to close soon?

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Any cards you are looking to close soon?

@collics wrote:

1. DELL ($1500 6yrs) - last used it at beginning of pandemic when I had to transition WFH but nothing since. No option to ask for increase. Otherwise never used

2. QuickSilver ($2000 8yrs)- $39 AF, no upgrade option, no growth, no longer competitive

3. PayPal Credit( $1400 1.5 yrs) - Financing and special offers are nice. If I can get it to $2000 by the end of the year I may keep it, but other than that eh

4. Comenity clothing store card ($250 1 yr; not listed in sig)-  Low limit and the clothes ain't cheap. I would be better off using another card honestly.

5. Target RedCard ($1200 7yrs)- this one would hurt. But no growth in 5 years. Still have the RedCard debit card.

Just wondering why your Quicksilver has an AF? Mine don't.

I have several cards I keep thinking about closing....then never actually get around to it. Two of them are Quicksilvers! As I've said a million times, their CLs haven't increased in ages; they're stuck at $4,000 and $4,500--and I really want to pare down anything less than 5-figure CLs.

Speaking of which, my Sportsmans Guide Visa has grown to a WHOPPING $3,000 limit! I used the old SCT to get it several years ago, but it just doesn't grow. So that's on the chopping block. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the cards I have.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 21 of 40
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Personally I don't close cards unless they have an AF and can't be PCed to a non AF.

Maybe when my AAoA gets into the double digits I might reconsider.

Message 22 of 40
coreyb80
Super Contributor

I'll be closing my Credit One Visa and Credit One AMEX cards very soon.  Especially the AMEX considering the $1K limit and $99 AF making it not worth it at.  Next year I'll cut down some more as my ole lady insists that I have to many pointless cards.

Message 23 of 40
collics
Established Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@collics wrote:

1. DELL ($1500 6yrs) - last used it at beginning of pandemic when I had to transition WFH but nothing since. No option to ask for increase. Otherwise never used

2. QuickSilver ($2000 8yrs)- $39 AF, no upgrade option, no growth, no longer competitive

3. PayPal Credit( $1400 1.5 yrs) - Financing and special offers are nice. If I can get it to $2000 by the end of the year I may keep it, but other than that eh

4. Comenity clothing store card ($250 1 yr; not listed in sig)-  Low limit and the clothes ain't cheap. I would be better off using another card honestly.

5. Target RedCard ($1200 7yrs)- this one would hurt. But no growth in 5 years. Still have the RedCard debit card.

I have several cards I keep thinking about closing....then never actually get around to it. Two of them are Quicksilvers! As I've said a million times, their CLs haven't increased in ages; they're stuck at $4,000 and $4,500--and I really want to pare down anything less than 5-figure CLs.

Speaking of which, my Sportsmans Guide Visa has grown to a WHOPPING $3,000 limit! I used the old SCT to get it several years ago, but it just doesn't grow. So that's on the chopping block. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the cards I have.

It's the QuickSilver One. It's under Credit Building/Fair credit. Got it right after BK discharged.

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 24 of 40
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@collics wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@collics wrote:

It's the QuickSilver One. It's under Credit Building/Fair credit. Got it right after BK discharged.

Oh, okay, that makes sense! Thanks.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 25 of 40
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wroteBecause myFico Forum told you to🤣I'm wary now of closing cards because the overwhelming  sentiment is to close if it doesn't grow. My biggest credit regert was closing my Chase Amazon for that very reason during one of these threads lol. Now not only am I perpetually over 5/24 but Chase won't let me back in Smiley Wink. Lesson learned . 

If I could get all debt to zero I'd close all except a few to curb temptationSmiley Happy

Well to me, there's a massive difference between closing down a Chase Amazon card versus a Credit One, Mission Lane, Premier, & etc. 

Message 26 of 40
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@ficosuave wrote:

@crystal626 wrote:

PNC Points. Worthless card. 

Sadly true. My highest limit card, and the least valuable (BBVA Clearpoints R.I.P.).

Honestly, I fight the urge every day to just slash half my cards. For simplicity's sake if nothing else. But then I keep grabbing new ones for the SUBs and the cycle continues.

Got $17k on my PNC points (fka BBVA Clearpoints).  It has been essentially SDd since the conversion and I dislike the App.  However, the CLI are SPs...

Message 27 of 40
crystal626
Regular Contributor

@ficosuave wrote:

@crystal626 wrote:

PNC Points. Worthless card. 

Sadly true. My highest limit card, and the least valuable (BBVA Clearpoints R.I.P.).

Honestly, I fight the urge every day to just slash half my cards. For simplicity's sake if nothing else. But then I keep grabbing new ones for the SUBs and the cycle continues.

I get this urge too. It gets to be too much work juggling them. Also do the same with SUBs. 

Message 28 of 40
maxchurn
Valued Member

Why not PC your Quicksilver One to the Quicksilver with no AF?

Message 29 of 40
collics
Established Contributor

@maxchurn wrote:

Why not PC your Quicksilver One to the Quicksilver with no AF?

That's what I meant when I said no upgrade. 
I've tried online and asked by phone. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.