cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any credit cards that you regret closing?

tag
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Any credit cards that you regret closing?

I've closed a few cc prior to joining this forum (lol didn't know that I was supposed to leave them open).  I've closed 2 from Household bank, 2 from Cap1, Shell gas card, Macy's, JCP, etc.

There are only 2 that I regret closing and those were Shell and Union 76 cards since they were the first few cards that I got from '98  and '99 and there was no fee just to keep them open.

Please post yours below. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any credit cards that you regret closing?

No regrets here.

I had too many deadbeat cards in my lifetime. Household, First Premier, Credit One, Fingerhut, Cap One, etc.

The only card I regret closing was my Amex which was charged off. But thank God I got a second chance.
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 2 of 13
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Not really... I suppose my first card, but then again it was a Capital One (no-annual fee Master Card); I'm getting the vibe around here that C.One isn't all that great??

I do regret AmExpress closing my Blue CC a couple years ago... not sure why? I never maxed out, neither was I ever late with payments Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 13
Kels

I closed my very first credit card - 1st Financial Bank USA. I regret closing it because it was my oldest account. I closed it because they wouldn't lower the APR or raise the limit. I should have just kept it open for the age but I was really annoyed with them. Smiley Mad

Starting Score: 09/2012 635 EXP [myFICO]
683 EQ [myFICO] | 692 EXP [Lender] | 700 TRANS [Walmart FICO]

Current Scores are as of 08/2013: On my way to 700's. Too many Inquiries - In the GARDEN 08/2013
Message 4 of 13
Kels

@Volpes wrote:

I do regret AmExpress closing my Blue CC a couple years ago... not sure why? I never maxed out, neither was I ever late with payments Smiley Sad

American Express can close your account without even giving you an explanation? Wow!

Starting Score: 09/2012 635 EXP [myFICO]
683 EQ [myFICO] | 692 EXP [Lender] | 700 TRANS [Walmart FICO]

Current Scores are as of 08/2013: On my way to 700's. Too many Inquiries - In the GARDEN 08/2013
Message 5 of 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

My first credit card which was a Cap One... It just didnt grow with me, I wish I knew about the EO back then Smiley Sad

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 13
Volpes
Regular Contributor

@Kels wrote:

@Volpes wrote:

American Express can close your account without even giving you an explanation? Wow!

Hmm, maybe they did give me a generic reason, I can't recall/remember. It was a very busy and exhausting time in my life.

Still don't know "why" they would close it considering I was fairly responsible with the account.

Message 7 of 13
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Yea all CCC can pretty much close accounts at any time for any reason. It's in our agreements with them.

They usually close accounts or decrease CL if they see something they don't like during their periodic/monthly softing. (Not saying this happened to you voles)

I've had my CL slashed in the past when I missed payments on other cards even though I had perfect payment history. Citi is infamous for doing this.
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 8 of 13
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I've closed 5 accounts and don't regret closing any of them. I closed my Cap1 card which was my first card bc it never grew with me and they wouldn't let me PC to a rewards card. I know some say just put it in the SD, but that's an extra card that I have to worry about being used fraudulently. I'm also not too worried about AaoA bc my second oldest card was opened about a year later, so it won't hurt too much once that card falls off.
AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 9 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, the only one has been the Amex Zync.  I had to close it to open up slots for other Amex cards.  I really do miss the 3X MR points on dining and 2X at Costco.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.