cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any differences between the AmEx Platinum and the Business Platinum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any differences between the AmEx Platinum and the Business Platinum?

Needing it for some upcoming travel. I will only really be using the card for some business dinners, etc and for the travel benefits. Just wondering if there's a need to spend the extra $100 AF for the personal over the business.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Any differences between the AmEx Platinum and the Business Platinum?

@Anonymous wrote:

Needing it for some upcoming travel. I will only really be using the card for some business dinners, etc and for the travel benefits. Just wondering if there's a need to spend the extra $100 AF for the personal over the business.

I don't think the business one offers the Uber credits, for one thing.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Off the top of my head, and someone please correct any changed information...

Business card has lower AF, doesn't report on personal credit report , has a huge bonus for redeeming MRs for airfare, 50% points bonus on purchases of $5000 or more, 

Personal has Uber credit, generally lower spending mark to get the signup bonus (often tiered, like 50k for this then another 25k or 50k for more on business), and you can add up to 3 additional Platinum Cards for authorized users getting all of the benefits (except Uber which is supposedly for the primary cardholder but some reports that it shares like the travel credit among all cards) for only $175 a year, whereas the business version is $300 per AU - both allow up to 99 Gold cards also, free for personal and last I checked $45 for business.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info guys! Think I will try for the biz card, don't use Uber and don't need extra cards. 

Message 4 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info guys! Think I will try for the biz card, don't use Uber and don't need extra cards. 

No problem.  For a single card, the Biz card does seem to make much more sense.  The business charge cards also tend to have other bonuses quite often that aren't available for personal cards, so with the difference in annual fees even if you did use Uber a lot it's easily a wash.  Every time I type "up to 99 Gold cards" when discussing the personal Platinum, I still find myself scratching my head trying to figure out why they allow that many authorized users on a personal charge card.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

No problem.  For a single card, the Biz card does seem to make much more sense.  The business charge cards also tend to have other bonuses quite often that aren't available for personal cards, so with the difference in annual fees even if you did use Uber a lot it's easily a wash.  Every time I type "up to 99 Gold cards" when discussing the personal Platinum, I still find myself scratching my head trying to figure out why they allow that many authorized users on a personal charge card.

I think this is predominately used by the UHNW family crowd. I know someone that has 25 AU's, and he isn't a billionaire by any stretch of the imagination. His household staff in two different cities including a nanny, maid, groundskeeper, cook, property manager, personal assistant, and business assistant for each location. All of the staffers have cards. His large group of adult children have cards, and the spouses of his children have cards as well. I can see someone with higher wealth having proportionally larger staffs and a 'need' for more AUs.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.