cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any differences in how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermarkets"

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Any differences in how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermarkets"

I had the Amex Blue Cash Everyday through 2016, and I learned by trial and error which stores got the 3% on groceries and which stores did not.  After going for three years without a dedicated grocery card, I'm thinking of applying for the NFCU More Rewards card (aka NFCU Amex).  Does NFCU use the same definition of supermarket as does Amex?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are there any differences between how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermar

You could have just went to Amex’s website which shows all the supermarkets that get 3%
Message 2 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Any differences in how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermar

I know that.  I'm asking about NFCU, not about Amex.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Any differences in how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermar

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I know that.  I'm asking about NFCU, not about Amex.

I have the NFCU More Rewards Amex but have never used at a Store Maybe @kilroy8 can chime in?

Here is some fine print from Navy PDF reagarding the More Rewards Amex.

Message 4 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

That blurb was definitely written by a lawyer.  What have people's actual experiences been with getting the 3% from NFCU at supermarket chains, independent grocery stores, discount stores, corner markets, etc?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX has network level overrides on stores like Walmart and Target from my understanding so if you're expecting the NFCU card to get rewards at the ones coded as grocery stores, I would let that idea go. 

The list on the AMEX site is probably a good list to go by. For myself, I can only confirm when I had the card that King Soopers (CO Kroger store branding) codes as a supermarket just like it does on my BCP now. I don't shop anywhere else. 

Message 6 of 9
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any differences in how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermarkets"

I’m not sure about supermarkets, and I haven’t tried this with my NFCU More Rewards, but there appears to be a difference between cards issued by AmEx and those issued by other banks in some instances.

For example, my local Meijer supercenter has an associated gas station. My AmEx BCP doesn’t code as 3% when I fill up there, but my WF Propel AmEx does.

I’d imagine, however, that Target and Walmart will only pay 1% with NFCU AmEx, just as they do with AmEx-issued cards.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any differences in how Amex Blue Cash and NFCU More Rewards define "supermarkets"

Technically it still runs on the Amex network, correct? So one would assume it would code whatever other Amex cards would.

However, isn't NFCU the one issuing said points on purchases? 

Truthfully the only way to know for sure is to test it out on small purchases around town, and then wait to see how they code.

Message 8 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"Truthfully the only way to know for sure is to test it out on small purchases around town, and then wait to see how they code."

Probably the only way to really know 100% for sure.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.