cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any downside of carrying all MasterCards in wallet?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any downside of carrying all MasterCards in wallet?

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:
I'd be more concerned about only carrying cards from the same lender.

Well 2 of the cards I carry just happen to be from the same lender (citi) Smiley Indifferent

Maybe I should swap the DC out with Fidelity Visa?

I, too, have both. Although I believe the Citi Double Cash is a better card with its very competitive benefits offering, Fidelity is still a decent option if the higher redemption threshold isn’t going to be an issue. 

I mostly favor the Fidelity due to them giving me a much higher limit than the DC. I definitely agree with the DC having the better benefits though in addition to the lower redemption threshold. With Fidelity, It normally takes me 3 months to meet the 50$ redemption threshold which isnt exactly ideal. I also carry the Citi Premiere which I believe has the same benefits as the DC as well. Unfortunately, that card isnt ideal for non categorized spending. 

Since you have the Fidelity Visa and DC, do u also have specific uses for both cards? I was considering using the Fidelity for monthly bills while reserving the DC for all other non categorize spending.

Message 11 of 24
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Well 2 of the cards I carry just happen to be from the same lender (citi) Smiley Indifferent

I, too, have both. Although I believe the Citi Double Cash is a better card with its very competitive benefits offering, Fidelity is still a decent option if the higher redemption threshold isn’t going to be an issue. 

I mostly favor the Fidelity due to them giving me a much higher limit than the DC. I definitely agree with the DC having the better benefits though in addition to the lower redemption threshold. With Fidelity, It normally takes me 3 months to meet the 50$ redemption threshold which isnt exactly ideal. I also carry the Citi Premiere which I believe has the same benefits as the DC as well. Unfortunately, that card isnt ideal for non categorized spending. 

Since you have the Fidelity Visa and DC, do u also have specific uses for both cards? I was considering using the Fidelity for monthly bills while reserving the DC for all other non categorize spending.

It’s the reverse for me. My Double Cash has a significantly higher limit than my Fidelity card. I usually use the Double Cash for large purchases that I would like to keep under warranty for as long as possible, as well as any non-category spending. Typically, I weigh the extended warranty and price rewind coverage against a category bonus from a different card for certain purchases.

Admittedly, my Fidelity card is mostly unusued nowadays, but I still like having it around. The flat 2% compared to the DC’s 1+1 reward structure is largely inconsequential for me. 

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

It’s the reverse for me. My Double Cash has a significantly higher limit than my Fidelity card. I usually use the Double Cash for large purchases that I would like to keep under warranty for as long as possible, as well as any non-category spending. Typically, I weigh the extended warranty and price rewind coverage against a category bonus from a different card for certain purchases.

Admittedly, my Fidelity card is mostly unusued nowadays, but I still like having it around. The flat 2% compared to the DC’s 1+1 reward structure is largely inconsequential for me. 

Gotcha! that makes perfect sense. I think what i will likely do is just carry the DC and leave the Fidelity at home. the 50$ threshold is tough to swallow considering I would be using 2-3 cards on a daily basis. I do have apple pay but im still more comfortable with physically carrying my cards with me.

I will, however, probably carry a visa credit card in the hidden card slot in wallet as backup. This card will likely be either the Chase Amazon or Cap 1 Venture.

Message 13 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

There is no problem with having just MasterCards in your wallet.  There is also no problem with having just Visa cards in your wallet.  I've been all Visa for the last 18 months and have never had a problem, either here in the US or in Europe.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 14 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've heard of some colleges only taking MC for tuition payments.

I get the impression MC is preferable for Plastiq...not sure if it's due to a recent promo or how it codes.

Apart from Costco, I went to an Asian food store near NYC about a year ago that only took Discover. I think it was due to the number of JCB/UnionPay customers.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I've heard of some colleges only taking MC for tuition payments.

I get the impression MC is preferable for Plastiq...not sure if it's due to a recent promo or how it codes.

Apart from Costco, I went to an Asian food store near NYC about a year ago that only took Discover. I think it was due to the number of JCB/UnionPay customers.

There is a place in NY that only takes discover?!? That's something i've never expected to hear ...

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was on a business trip in Colorado Springs, CO. On the 1st day there we went to visit the US Olympic Training Center. Everyone was in the gift shop grabbing items and checking out. At the register after I'm already rung out I'm told they only take Visa. I of course only had a discover, an amex and a Mastercard! Super embarrassing having to put back my items. This is the one and only time that has happened. I also now carry 2 visas lololol
Message 17 of 24
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I ran into a parking thing in Phoenix that only took Discover.

Message 18 of 24
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Personally, I carry multiple different cards. There's been a few times where I haven't been able to use a specific card; Discover at Costco, Amex at many restaurants, few others that come to mind.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I carry my 4 favorites and they happen to one of each.

Sam's Club MC for 5%gas and 3%restautants

WF Propel Amex for 3x travel and 3x restaurants

BBVA Visa 2% on everything

Disco for quarterlies... currently warehouse stores and 2% on everything

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.