cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideal strategy for closing a few cards?

tag
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Any ideal strategy for closing a few cards?

So I've worked so hard in the last 3 years to get my credit up & fixed...floating around 800 on all 3 reports. I've gathered quite the assortment of cards & really thing it's time to make a few consolidation moves. I've got $380k in available credit...some cards are overlapping as far as rewards go so I'm considering dropping at least 1 cash back card, closing 1 annual fee Delta Amex & moving the limit over to my EDP, & closing my Sync Amazon Store card, & I have the Barclays Aviator Red & Citi's AA card...thinking about moving the limit on my Aviator to my Uber card & closing the Aviator...keeping the Citi version. The only thing I won't try to do yet is merge my 2 Discover IT as my new one is only 6 months old & I'm still working the cashback match.

My utlilzation is low, everything financially is solid, & I have no desire or need for any other cards. Just time to tune-up my credit collection.

Should I space out the moves or just knock them all out now?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: Any ideal strategy for closing a few cards?

Hopefully @pinkandgrey will chime in. I believe she closed a bunch of cards at once, but I don't want to speak for her. It sounds like this is well planned and considered (utilization, moving limits, etc.), so nothing to add there, either.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just knock them out. Spacing closures is for thin files or high utilization. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing to take into consideration is your debt load.  If it will result in significantly higher utilization then a slow approach might be better if you have a large purchase coming up.  otherwsie just axe them all at once as there's no adverse affect.  I think there's a lot of superstition on the best approach methods when it's just something you want to do and it's simple as that.  The banks don't have a specific method when they close them for you either, they just do it.

Message 4 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

It sounds like utilization isn’t an issue for you, so I’d just shut them all down at once. When I closed half my cards, I did them all on the same day lol. Back-to-back calls. I like to take the efficient route. Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

My approach when closing is to allow time to walk through all the steps such as making sure no recurring charges are still set up, moving limits and letting that settle out, and after a statement prints, using that as a Go time.

Also as I have been stepping completely out of certain banks ( BofA and WF checking ) taking the time to delete connections to other banks, and autopay to the CC.

So my preference is to be slow and deliberate, similar to when you are adding accounts and making sure things work correctly.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

As everyone above said:

You are ready to start cutting cards.

Welcome to the simple life.

Message 7 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
My approach when closing is to allow time to walk through all the steps such as making sure no recurring charges are still set up, moving limits and letting that settle out, and after a statement prints, using that as a Go time.

+100

Best to be safe and let statement or two with 0 first.

Message 8 of 9
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info...my util is not an issue & I'm not closing a large % of my available credit...mainly consolidating. I'll get ready to make some phone calls on Monday. Thanks everyone...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.