Did you mean: 

Any info on getting walmart card?

tag
roastbeans
New Contributor

Re: Any info on getting walmart card?

@roastbeans wrote:

@Shellie wrote:

Is there a shopping card trick for this one?  Is it HP no matter what?  What kind of scores do they like to see?

I applied online today and got the approval of wallmart discover for 1400 CL.I hear they exclusively pull TU

Oh,my TU score is 690(myfico)

Message 11 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Soft pull CLI every four months and free monthly TU score.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 12 of 19
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

I think Lithium means that he/she got credit from walmart when a lot of other creditors may not have looking at a score in the upper 500's. Add to that the healthy CLI's... A lot of other starter/rebuilder cards might not grow with you as much either. PCing to a discover is nice. + a monthly FICO!

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 13 of 19
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I currently have 2 CapOne's both with $500 CL.  Would a walmart card be a good idea to add?  Or score wise does it really matter what cards you have?  I'm sitting at a 591 score right now.  I just hate to waste the HP on it.  I also have 3 store cards. 

They do CLI's every 4 months?

I screwed myself out of the 6mo auto increase on CapOne.  I called to ask if I could pay 2 days late and they assured me repeatedly that it would affect my account negatively, they lied!  Now I have to wait until the 10th billing cycle to get that increase.  And the older card got the 6mo auto increase in June so I have no idea when that one will be eligible again.

Message 14 of 19
lithium78
Established Contributor

@jeffg330 wrote:
I think Lithium means that he/she got credit from walmart when a lot of other creditors may not have looking at a score in the upper 500's. Add to that the healthy CLI's... A lot of other starter/rebuilder cards might not grow with you as much either. PCing to a discover is nice. + a monthly FICO!

Exactly.  Walmart gave me a store card with no AF at a time when the only cards that would accept me were things like First Premier and Credit One.  Out of all the cards I got during rebuilding, the Walmart card is the only one that grew with me.  I still have it today (the upgraded WM Discover version), even though I now have vastly superior cards with very low rates and much better rewards.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Got my Walmart card with mid 600 score IIRC

5 months later asked for CLI to 5K

Approved 

GE cards can grow quickly and are very generous

The free TU Fico is a plus along with a gas discount if your Walmart has a service station

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 19
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Kinda sounds like I should try to get one.  CapOne doesn't seem to grow very fast.

I have read that it is better to apply in-store? Can anyone tell me why they think that?

Isn't Old Navy thru the same bank?  I got approved with them in-store for $300 last month.  I think I had a 584?  Can't remember for sure.

Message 17 of 19
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Shellie wrote:

Kinda sounds like I should try to get one.  CapOne doesn't seem to grow very fast.

I have read that it is better to apply in-store? Can anyone tell me why they think that?

Isn't Old Navy thru the same bank?  I got approved with them in-store for $300 last month.  I think I had a 584?  Can't remember for sure.

Old Navy is also GECRB. They do seem willing to approve multiple cards at or around the same time, the key is not to try to do too many at once.

Some in-store apps can get higher limits especially if you're planning on leaving there with a large purchase that you can do interest free for like 18 months.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 18 of 19
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I don't ever get an offer to apply at walmart.   I'm not sure how that would work?

I got the Old Navy card in August.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.