cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any luck switching Capital One $39 fee card to no anual fee card?

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Any luck switching Capital One $39 fee card to no anual fee card?

Hi,

I have a Capital One rewards green mastercard with a $39 annual fee for a little over a year now. I got a pre-approved offer in the mail for it when my credit score was was around 670-690. The one big negative on my report was a chapter 13 bankruptcy. It has since fallen off, and my scores are around the 760-770 range. Now that my score is much better do you think I can ask them to switch it to one of their no annual fee cards? If not I was thinking about canceling it. Since my reports are looking much better now

I think I can get much better cards without any fees. Has anyone been able to do it?

jason

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any luck switching Capital One $39 fee card to no anual fee card?

Several have found success by email EO and asking for the AF waived, CLI and/or PC
Message 2 of 13
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Several have found success by email EO and asking for the AF waived, CLI and/or PC

And unfortunately I had the opposite experience.  They weren't willing to waive my AF, give me a CLI, or give me a PC on a $500 card I had for 3 years, so I wound up closing them.  The EO can be helpful to some, but not all.  It's a YMMV type of thing.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 13
CS800
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

+ 1 happened for me. The EO did it. Took about 3 weeks.

Message 4 of 13
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Capital One rewards green mastercard with a $39 annual fee for a little over a year now. I got a pre-approved offer in the mail for it when my credit score was was around 670-690. The one big negative on my report was a chapter 13 bankruptcy. It has since fallen off, and my scores are around the 760-770 range. Now that my score is much better do you think I can ask them to switch it to one of their no annual fee cards? If not I was thinking about canceling it. Since my reports are looking much better now

I think I can get much better cards without any fees. Has anyone been able to do it?

jason

With a score like that, i would hope so!!! I just recieved the quicksilver from cap one and it also has a $39 fee per year, but offer 1.5% unlimited cash back on every purchase. TRY TRY TRY.here's a good number to call to get to the Executive office: 1-800-955-7070.  CALL TODAY! Smiley Very Happy   They are much more willing to do these types of things for customers. I was denied over the internet for the quicksilver but called the EO and was approved the next day!  GOOD LUCK TO YA!

Message 5 of 13
bmis42988
New Contributor

I had both of my 1k limit cards PC'd to the quicksilver no AF cards. I did one through the chat, one through EO which I asked for a CLI to accompany the upgrade but she said unfortunately she can't do it. I have to wait 6 months and apply for the CLI online. It really is YMMV. The soft pull they had was a 678 score, 20% util~ and in the area of 15 inq's.
TU: 687 EQ: 670 EX: 665
Message 6 of 13
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

I had a CapOne Platinum MC for about 3 years with a $39 AF, which grew from $500 to $750 CL and then hit the "no further CLI possible" brick wall we're all so familiar with!  I applied for a and received a CapOne VentureOne card (no AF) with a much higher CL, and then canceled the MC before its renewal date came up.  With your greatly improved credit scores (kudos!), I would think you would be able to qualify for any of CapOne's higher tier of CCs without any annual fees, or the ones with greater reward potential where you know where your AF is going. And, of course, there are other credit card providers outside of CapOne!  Canceling the CapOne card that you've had for a little over a year might eventually have a slight impact on AAoA around 10 rears from now, but this pales in comparison to saving $39 a year! 

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 7 of 13
missjae
Established Contributor

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

@jasonkm1 wrote:

Hi,

jason

With a score like that, i would hope so!!! I just recieved the quicksilver from cap one and it also has a $39 fee per year, but offer 1.5% unlimited cash back on every purchase. TRY TRY TRY.here's a good number to call to get to the Executive office: 1-800-955-7070.  CALL TODAY! Smiley Very Happy   They are much more willing to do these types of things for customers. I was denied over the internet for the quicksilver but called the EO and was approved the next day!  GOOD LUCK TO YA!

Isn't that the regular, main number?  That's the one on the back of my cards.  The EO just called me a few mins ago and while the number they called from was similar, it wasn't the same.  There is also an e-mail address or FB.  FB messages will get to the EO.  Seems like they're a little backed up right now...

Message 8 of 13
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

Im Sure if you get in touch with the E.O you can get somethign worked out but do not bother to call the back ofyour card to ask them such questions as canceling the AF
they Might give you "let's see your account.. ok I see that you do not have an annual fee but you do have a membership fee of 39.00 to be able to use our cards" Speech

Also don't expect to use the backdoor trick of getting another capital one card and try to have it the CL and history tranferred because they won't do it they might give you the due to the econcomy and your contract we can't switch but if you would like you can certainly apply for another Capital One Credit Card"

Maybe you can do it if your willing to deal with their games and hassle

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 9 of 13
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will try call and get them to change it, but only if they don't do hard pulls. When I applied for the card they hard pulled all three credit of my reports!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.