Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any negatives to balance transfers?

tag
McNugget
Regular Contributor

Any negatives to balance transfers?

I have some balance transfer offers on a few of my cards, but I've never taken advantage of one before.  Do companies typically lower the credit limit on the card you are transferring from?  Do they try to close the card?  I don't want either of those things to happen, but I'm not sure what to expect.

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Any negatives to balance transfers?

If you transfer all the way up to your credit limit on the card with the 0% offer, your utilization on that card will be very bad.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfers just show up as a payment on the old account. Unless you had it maxed or other behavior that would have resulted in adverse action, it’s very unlikely that paying off your card will result in anything happening other than maybe a credit limit increase. 

Message 3 of 9
McNugget
Regular Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

If you transfer all the way up to your credit limit on the card with the 0% offer, your utilization on that card will be very bad.

Thanks for the tip!  *nerd alert* I keep track of that stuff on an Excel spreadsheet, so I'll run some scenarios to see what benefits me the most. 

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@McNugget wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Thanks for the tip!  *nerd alert* I keep track of that stuff on an Excel spreadsheet, so I'll run some scenarios to see what benefits me the most. 

So just to combine the previous explanations, any problem usually won't occur on the "from" card, the one you are paying off.   It just looks like a normal payment, so only if they are balance chasing you, you should be fine on this card.    Then, on the "to" card, like any purchase, if your balance ends up near the credit limit, your score will suffer.

The other issue is to check to see the rules on the card you are balance transferring to.   While some allow you to make purchases and keep the grace period, others don't.   If you lose the grace period, make sure you don't charge anything else to this card until the balance is paid off.

Message 5 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I just write the 0% checks to myself and deposit them.

This allows me to pay who I want a when I want.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 9
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

True, maybe OP does not have that offer available? Usually writing yourself a check and depositing it can take just as long as an electronic Balance Transfer. 

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
McNugget
Regular Contributor

@Five6Two wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

True, maybe OP does not have that offer available? Usually writing yourself a check and depositing it can take just as long as an electronic Balance Transfer. 

I don't even know what this means.  Smiley Sad

I mean, I know what writing a check to myself does.  I didn't get anything in the mail, if that's what this was talking about; it was just the introductory balance transfer rate (0%, no fee) through the cc company website.  Took less than 30 seconds.  

Message 8 of 9
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Transferring without a 0% promotion with a BT fee. You might as well keep it on the card with a APR.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.