cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new 5% grocery no fee card on the market?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any new 5% grocery no fee card on the market?

Since the ending of Sallie-Mae in Oct last year, seems 5% cash back is impossible on grocery purchases. But I haven't followed up closely in the past months. Any new opportunities without paying any annual fee? Or, any rumor on the future card release?

I guess the only chance now is the rotating category cards?

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any new 5% grocery no fee card on the market?

Just spend 9500 a year on a bCP. in equals out at 185 bucks a week groceries. That sounds like a lot but if you buy yourself weekly $50 fuel gift cards and some for Subway or whatever here n there it puts it in perspective to offset that 95AF all earning the 6%. If I got approved for that thing that's how I would rock it. It is my goal card.
That is how I use rotating cards when they come into season
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember there's a $6,000 cap on the groceries so you are going to need another rotator at 5% like a Chase Freedom
Message 3 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just spend 9500 a year on a bCP. in equals out at 185 bucks a week groceries. That sounds like a lot but if you buy yourself weekly $50 fuel gift cards and some for Subway or whatever here n there it puts it in perspective to offset that 95AF all earning the 6%. If I got approved for that thing that's how I would rock it. It is my goal card.
That is how I use rotating cards when they come into season

I don't understand the concept of spending more than you need to just to offset an AF. A card should fit your budget and lifestyle. If it does not, and you're buying things you don't need to justify the AF, the card isn't for you.

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on the Blue Cash Preferred card! It's a good one, but I don't feel I can spend that much on grocery and gift cards, even don't have a car yet. 

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with KDM.

If you're creating MS just to offset an AF, you're doing it wrong.
Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom usually has it one quarter.  Otherwise 5% cards? No.

Amex BCE/BCP is probably your best bet.  $3166 to break even on the AF to go with BCP.. so you'll have to determine how much your spend on grocery.  I see your sig says Amex.. do you have charge cards or what?  Amex BCE catches alot of grief around here, and there is some good reason for that.  The reward structure is lousy as far as redemption threshold and rules, timing of rewards being released to you, etc.. but in my opinion it's still a good card.  Amex offers (while maybe not all grocery related) will present opportunities throughout the year to pick up some really solid bonus rewards and offers.

You have to be careful with where you shop though.. remember Walmart/Costco/Target etc none count for Amex grocery..

Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex BCE/BCP is probably your best bet.  $3166 to break even on the AF to go with BCP.. so you'll have to determine how much your spend on grocery.  I see your sig says Amex.. do you have charge cards or what?  Amex BCE catches alot of grief around here, and there is some good reason for that.  The reward structure is lousy as far as redemption threshold and rules, timing of rewards being released to you, etc.. but in my opinion it's still a good card.  Amex offers (while maybe not all grocery related) will present opportunities throughout the year to pick up some really solid bonus rewards and offers.

You have to be careful with where you shop though.. remember Walmart/Costco/Target etc none count for Amex grocery..

Indeed, I have the BCE card, it has been working pretty well for my need. Since I am close to one-year gardening remark, and my spending has been more on groceries recently beside flights, I just want to poke around for a better choice. If no more better options, I will try PCing my Citi AAdvantage card to a DC card at the end of this year and continue my gardening Smiley Happy Thank you for your info. 

Message 8 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Blue Cash Everyday and Preferred reward systems have some major drawbacks as you mentioned, but as long as you are patient, you eventually get the rewards. But you do have to redeem in chunks of $25 only. Some people find these more annoying than others. I think the limitations are stupid, but it is what it is.

As far as Walmart/Target, they don't count for the special grocery rewards, but if the items you are buying are cheaper there, you should focus on that, not what "counts" for grocery.

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan to use 2% card for Walmart and the like. US Cash+ and BoA cards can cover Walmart, but only with 2% return. But I haven't found any card to cover Walmart with 3% or better. 

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.