Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new cards worth applying for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any new cards worth applying for?

I've been out of the credit card loop for over a year. Any new cards I should keep an eye on?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Openwater
Established Contributor

Re: Any new cards worth applying for?

Very vague question. Choices depend on a number of variables. Too start, how good are you scores, and what are you looking for out of your cards; Travel miles, cash back, low interest, the list goes on. Once you have those questions sorted, the search becomes much more narrow. 

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @Openwater ......way to many variables. The latest big FOTM was Apple Card, and we could all suggest it. However, if you don't use Apple products, it is not as useful to you. 

Message 3 of 23
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Alliant CU has card that gives unlimited 3% CB for the first year, and 2.5% after that, but it has a $99 AF (waived the 1st year) so you need to spend a lot annually to make it worthwhile over the normal 2% cards.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:
Alliant CU has card that gives unlimited 3% CB for the first year, and 2.5% after that, but it has a $99 AF (waived the 1st year) so you need to spend a lot annually to make it worthwhile over the normal 2% cards.

$19,800 of spend to break even vs a 2% card definitely makes it a niche card. Most people who will put $20K+ on a single card are better served by travel rewards. 

Message 5 of 23
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Maybe, but we have put well over $35,000 through my It card this year, and will probably be around $47,000 for the year by the time Christmas is paid for. I’m sure we’re probably in the minority, but we don’t fly or travel, so those cards do me no good.

We’re going to get $1300+ this year because of the cash back match on the It card.

At 3% with the Alliant card, we’d get $1,410 (in theory, based on the same $47,000 ) in the first year with the AC waived.

At 2.5% with the AF included, we’d get $1076,
And with a normal 2% card with no AF, we’d get $940.

Of course those are straight numbers, assuming I’d be putting everything on one card, but my plan is to get 3 or 4 cards to maximize CB by using the higher % of each card. That said, the Alliant card would be still be my most used card, if I had it.

Ideally, I’d like to have the Discover It for the 5% categories, Amex BCP for groceries, gas, and streaming, and the Alliant card for the rest. That’s my ultimate goal as of now.

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you go 2% go Disco Miles for 3% uncapped for the first year w/ match.  When you're done w/ both intro periods you can combine them and do it all over again.

Message 7 of 23
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Are the miles redeemable for cash back?

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

YUP.... miles/points/dollars == CASH w/ Disco at least.

Message 9 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

$19,800 of spend to break even vs a 2% card definitely makes it a niche card. Most people who will put $20K+ on a single card are better served by travel rewards. 

$100k in total investible assets (incl. retirement and cash) is not a terribly high threshold for high spenders. BofA Premium Rewards seems the much better value. Plus a $500 SUB.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.