Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any non-Chase card with Primary Rental CDW

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any non-Chase card with Primary Rental CDW

Thinking about getting a card with primary rental CDW so that no need to pay Amex $19.95 for that.

Currently 7/24 so no go for Chase until another one year.

Any other cards you guys would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Any non-Chase card with Primary Rental CDW

It's an option that you can enable on AMEX cards where IIRC they'll provide it for a flat rate (IIRC about $20) for any US rental of less than 6 weeks duration.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 36
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

IIRC, the US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite (holy bunches of syllables) offers primary CDW.

Message 3 of 36
wasCB14
Super Contributor

There was some enthusiasm a year ago for a no-AF card with primary coverage from Sunflower Bank. The people who applied for it reported that customer service struggled with some very basic duties. Applications were paper-based. Details of the coverage (dollar amounts, geographic exclusions) were not provided (at least online).

The point being: Make sure an issuer is capable of efficiently handling claims for benefits it provides, and that you understand the benefits. Don't bother with anything too obscure for a potential big problem like a car accident.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. USB Altitude could be a good candidate, but I need to wait for another 2 months to reach 0/6 before applying. I think Primary CDW is supported by Visa Infinite instead of issuers (Chase or US Bank), right?

Message 5 of 36
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. USB Altitude could be a good candidate, but I need to wait for another 2 months to reach 0/6 before applying. I think Primary CDW is supported by Visa Infinite instead of issuers (Chase or US Bank), right?

I think the benefit is provided through Visa. Issuers can choose to provide or cancel the benefit. What I can't figure out is how Chase has managed to make it primary coverage for cards other than CSR and R-C (like CSP, United, etc.).

Message 6 of 36
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not aware of any 0/6 rule from US. Bank. You need to have a relationship with the bank in order tio apply.

I was atleast at 4 new cards in 6 months and LOL+/24 when I got the Altitude card.

Certain Chase Visa Signatures offer primary coverage.

Just a FYI : If overseas all secondary coverage becomes primary. So if you plan to rent cars only overseas you have your choice of many cards that offer rental insurance

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 36
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

executive-elite.png

I'll second using Amex. (The Simply Cash + business card has primary coverage buried in the details, so I had my wife use it for a National rental last week, easy peasy!)

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChargedUp... I was excited when you said simply cash provided primary coverage... But unless you see something different elsewhere this is what I found in the policy documents...

Secondary Coverage
This Plan is secondary to all other valid and collectible insurance or other sources of indemnity and shall apply only when such other benefits are exhausted. We will pay only that portion of the loss benefit which is not reimbursed by other collectible insurance or other sources of indemnity, up to Our limits, as provided under the Description of Benefits section.
Message 9 of 36
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
ChargedUp... I was excited when you said simply cash provided primary coverage... But unless you see something different elsewhere this is what I found in the policy documents...

Secondary Coverage
This Plan is secondary to all other valid and collectible insurance or other sources of indemnity and shall apply only when such other benefits are exhausted. We will pay only that portion of the loss benefit which is not reimbursed by other collectible insurance or other sources of indemnity, up to Our limits, as provided under the Description of Benefits section.

Actually I am seeing something different. While it does say secondary coverage, it's referring to liability to other parties, not about coverage to the rental vehice. The verbiage you've posted isn't in the page I'm seeing?

Log into your Simply Cash + account and click benefits. Scroll down and it's on the left. Click the rental car benefits and the below page appears. Am I misreading this?

Car_Rental_Loss_and_Damage_Insurance_Card_Benefits_American_Express_-_2019-01-25_17.39.57.png

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.