cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason to continue using my Venture card?

WarthogWrangler
Contributor

Any reason to continue using my Venture card?

I feel like I'm cheating on Cap One but recently I got my AMEX Gold card and my PENFED PCR with 2% cash back and since then I've sock drawed my Venture card.  I'm using the Gold card for restraunts and groceries and travel puchases and the PCR for eveything else.  Cap One was the first to offer me a card way back when my credit was horrible.  And since then they've been great to me.  My Venture card started as a QS card with a 1000 limit and I PC'd it to a Venture and now I'm sitting at an $8,000 limit on it.   I've used it for literally everything.   

That being said, I've soon realized that the points on the Venture card are just not worth that much in real life.  I've gotten a couple rental cars and hotel rooms but as far as fligths go it's a lot of points for one ticket.  And they don't seem to transfer to any airlines I'd like to use.  AMEX on the other hand, their points seem to be much more valuable and they transfer to Delta, which is who I like to fly.   

So, I guess I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here and maybe there's still a reason to reach for my Ventrue card for a few purchases?   If not I'll just use it a couple times for small puchases to keep it open since it's my oldest credit card line.   And if there's no more reason to use it should I try to PC it to the Venture One to eliminate the annual fee?  

While I'm happy to be in a position now to have options, it was kind of nice only having one card to deal with and I'm kind of sad to leave Cap One after how good they have been to me, but I know they aren't the best.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ImTheDevil
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Any reason to continue using my Venture card?

Onward and upward and don't look back. Keep the Venture (I like the idea of PCing to cut the AF) and you'll have a backup with a good CL if needed.

Platinum NPSL | Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | FNBO Prime Visa | FNBO Evergreen | PenFed PCR | Navy cashRewards | Navy Platinum | Apple | Wells Fargo Active Cash | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | Key Bank auto loan (2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus S-Line)

Message 2 of 5
WarthogWrangler
Contributor

Noted!  And yes, no reason to pay an AF if I'm not going to use it much anymore.  

Message 3 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ImTheDevil wrote:

Onward and upward and don't look back. Keep the Venture (I like the idea of PCing to cut the AF) and you'll have a backup with a good CL if needed.

+1  It's never a bad idea to have a functional backup in case some kind of doodookakapoopoo happens with your preferred card happens, and that stuff does happen.   See if you can PC it to a no-AF/no-FTF 1.5% cashback Quicksilver for example and use it to buy yourself lunch once every month or two to keep it active.

(4/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 815 (TU) 822 (EQ) 808
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 5
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I can see how it can be hard to cut out the emotional aspect of it. My first card was a Capital One Platinum, but since it was bucketed, I made the decision to close it after I got better cards. Even for a few months after I wondered if it was the right decision, but it was. However, it was only $500...I'd keep an $8k card lol. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.