cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason to hold onto my QS despite not having a fee?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any reason to hold onto my QS despite not having a fee?

Since I have multiple 2% cards (Paypal and Fidelity), is there any reason I should leave the Quicksilver open? The card itself was PCed from the Venture earlier this year. Not to mention, this would free up a slot later on if I were to go for the Venture again.

The card has a 15k limit which happens to be my 2nd highest limit across all of my cards. I would still have around 115k in total credit if I were to close it. My total utilization should still be below 8.9% as well. I’m really trying to trim the herd as I have quite a few cards that have become redundant.

Any compelling reason to not close it?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Any reason to hold onto my QS despite not having a fee?

The only thing you didn't mention was age of accounts... if it's not your oldest account, I see no reason to keep it.

...mind you, I see no reason to close it either, but if you're in trimming mode and don't need it, by all means let it go.  Smiley Happy

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

The only thing you didn't mention was age of accounts... if it's not your oldest account, I see no reason to keep it.

...mind you, I see no reason to close it either, but if you're in trimming mode and don't need it, by all means let it go.  Smiley Happy

Oops thought I mentioned it lol. But the account will be a year old like next week I believe so it’s definitely not old by any means.

Message 3 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

I'm going to have to make a similiar choice about my venture card. If they don't waive the AF I will probably PC it to the QS. Only reason I am holding on to the card is that its my oldest active card. As a general rule I don't close non-AF cards unless I need the credit card slot (for example with their limit on total number of cards), the card is taking up credit that I need to get an approval on another card with same lender, or if it was an extremely low credit line for some reason in comparison to all my other cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 22
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

If you really don’t use or want it, close it. I would. Even if it WAS my oldest account. That’s a nice limit, though! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

If you really don’t use or want it, close it. I would. Even if it WAS my oldest account. That’s a nice limit, though! 

Right! One of the main reasons I don’t want to close it but at the same time I’m maxed out with Cap 1 cards. Unless I close it (Savor isn’t an option since I’m grandfathered in), I won’t be able to get the SUB for the Venture again.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold NPSL, Amex Hilton Aspire 3k, Amex Marriott Bonvoy 1k, AMEX Everyday 5k, AMEX BBP 2k,

BOA Cash Rewards 8.2k, BOA Better Balance Rewards 2k, Fidelity Visa 10k,

Chase Amazon Visa 19.825k,

Discover 6.8k,

Nordstrom Store 4.5k , 

Cap 1 QS 15k, Cap 1 Savor 10.5k,

Citi Rewards+ 4.4k, Citi Advantage Platinum 7.5k, Citi Premiere 5.2k,

US Cash+ 3.5k, Altitude Reserve 9k,

Care Credit 15k, Paypal Mastercard 4k

Looking at your current holdings I'm not seeing a reason why or not to.  If you're content with the loss of the CL then just do it.  No real need to dwell on it for too long.  

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

personally I would keep it for age and utilization in the sock drawer.  I am fed up with them myself. My personal card is bucketed very low limit for reason unknown even with a 750 plus fico limit. DW card is stuck with a $10K limit with similar fico score  and it used to get  a lot of use. Our biz Spark card we had a good limit $18K but I am not happy with them personally and got a better deal for biz cards.  We are keeping the three for not going to be using them but once in a blue moon. 

Message 8 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Around like, say, 5 years ago, the QS was unique because there weren't a lot of 1.5% (or 2%) cards around. They are a dime a dozen now and almost none of them have an AF, so 1.5% with no fee is not a selling point.

Close it and move on.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep my QS both because it’s my oldest card by 4 years and because they deal with disputes very well. I’ve had two disputes in the 5 years I’ve had it and they were quick to resolve it and didn’t require me to do anything but report them. Some of the hoops other companies apparently make you go through from reading on here blows my mind. 

Another perk is I can use the card anywhere I want to online and not have to worry about fraud as long as I generate a virtual CC with Eno. Same for annoying renewing subscription services, don’t have to cancel if I use a VCC number. There’s some value to being able to go anywhere on the web and not worry about fraud. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.