cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason to hold onto my QS despite not having a fee?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Any reason to hold onto my QS despite not having a fee?

Yes, so we can debate itSmiley Wink😄
Message 11 of 22
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I’d keep it for just one reason: Balance Transfers. Cap One runs offers all the time with probably the lowest BT fees. I get offers for either 2% BT fee for 12 or 18 months. While it’s not something I do a lot, it can be very useful for some large purchase situations. For instance, I’ve bought things on a credit card earning 4.5% or 5%, then BT for a 2% fee and I still come out ahead. You never know when you’ll need to make a large or emergency purchase (medical, house project/repair, etc.)

Also, if you’re good with investments, you could use the card to earn you some money. Pay a 2% fee to get some cash and invest for a much higher return. That’s more risky but it’s another way to put your CL to good use. You could even find a high yield savings account or short term CD that pays better than 2%.

I have a grandfathered Savor with a $41k CL and those are the only ways I use it nowadays. Plus the occasional purchase when I haven’t had any activity on it for some time. 

You can make your dormant CL work for you.

Message 12 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol @imaximous i would give the award to lowedt BTs to , forgive me for saying this, Comenity , 0%,$0 18 months , yowserSmiley Wink
Message 13 of 22
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol @imaximous i would give the award to lowedt BTs to , forgive me for saying this, Comenity , 0%,$0 18 months , yowserSmiley Wink

**bleep**! Haha.

In my defense, I don’t have a single Comenity card, so I wouldn’t know about those offers, but now I’m intrigued. What cards do that?

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sure wish I could say that my card got good BT offers. 

875494C0-9F97-448F-AA59-9C6C863EE158.jpeg

Message 15 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

**bleep**! Haha.

In my defense, I don’t have a single Comenity card, so I wouldn’t know about those offers, but now I’m intrigued. What cards do that?

From my understanding its their Visa cards. Not sure everyone would recieve the offer but plenty people have. Sportsman Guide, Ikea, Total Rewards are 3 i hear can get them. I actually put in an app for SG to see if i could get one lol. Fraud alerts and 1 hp later ,still waiting on letterSmiley Wink 

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

**bleep**! Haha.

From my understanding its their Visa cards. Not sure everyone would recieve the offer but plenty people have. Sportsman Guide, Ikea, Total Rewards are 3 i hear can get them. I actually put in an app for SG to see if i could get one lol. Fraud alerts and 1 hp later ,still waiting on letterSmiley Wink 

Don’t forget the WS VISA Sig!

Message 17 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Oh yeah, WS Visa! Or is that Weary Soul VisaSmiley Wink
Message 18 of 22
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Considering that right now Capitol One does not allow combining maybe you can consider waiting until they do again? That way you can salvage some CL from your Quicksilver account. Also Capitol One does not particularly care when you close the account so you can close the Quicksilver on the phone while doing a Venture application online. Just make sure you hit submit after hanging up.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 19 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

Considering that right now Capitol One does not allow combining maybe you can consider waiting until they do again? That way you can salvage some CL from your Quicksilver account. Also Capitol One does not particularly care when you close the account so you can close the Quicksilver on the phone while doing a Venture application online. Just make sure you hit submit after hanging up.

I'd be surprised if the feature comes back honestly. For years and years Capital One would not allow account combos. They started allowing it and it remained in place for maybe a year or two before being taken away (and some of the combined limits were slashed).

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.