Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason to keep my Exxon gas card???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any reason to keep my Exxon gas card???

Today I bought my TU and EQ FICO scores.  I was looking over the reports, and I see that both are reporting my Exxon/Mobil gas card (which has no VC/MC/AMEX affiliation, but issued thru Citi) as a 'credit card', and not as a 'charge account' (like my Macy's store card).

I currently have 8 credit accounts:  one revolving charge (my Macy's), one open credit (AMEX), and six revolving credit cards (including, it appears, my Exxon/Mobil gas card).  So my credit mix is fine.

I don't think I need this gas card, because the Exxon stations near me have just switched over to '76' stations, I can use a regular credit card for gas, and I'm getting no reward for using the gas card.

Also, this gas card is only two years old.  My AAoA is over 8 yrs for both TU and EQ (and EX), so if it stays on my report as a closed account for the next ten years, it won't affect that.  It only has a $2000 credit limit, which won't affect my UTIL at all if I close it.

Any reason not to close it?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any reason to keep my Exxon gas card???

In that case, if it doesn't have any fee attached, I would just leave it in the drawer and let the bank close it when they want. That way, the card might stay a bit longer on your reports.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no AF, but I kinda hate leaving credit 'laying around' that doesn't seem to be useful.

Message 3 of 5
Xercien
Valued Member

It being open helps your AAoA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TU - 663 Fico (04/03/11)
EQ - 654 Fico (04/03/11)
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, after everything you said, it seems not to be a big deal one way or the other. Just do what you want, there's no real "wrong" involved here.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.