cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

I'm mulling over adding (or trying to add, lol) the True Earnings card in January (waiting until then maximizes the effect of the back-dating.)

I'm finally semi-close to a Costco store, but I don't belong to it yet.

A while back, there seemed to be a lot of posts suggesting that you'd do better, especially with initial CL, if you were already a member of Costco, vs joining and applying for the card at the same time.

Has anyone gotten the True Earnings card within the last year or so without already having a shopping/ membership history with Costco? If so, were you pretty happy with your initial CL? I don't think that my shopping habits alone will make Costco that great, as I don't quite know what I'd do with 50 lbs of chicken breasts and 48 boxes of Kleenex at a time, but combined with the rewards on the card, it does work out.

I could swear that I've asked this already, but I'm completely stumped by the current search function here on the forums Smiley Tongue, and if I posted this before, I can't find it.  thx

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

This is more for bumping, as I got the card already 2 years ago. At that time, I got a $2,000 CL while joining Costco and applying for the card a day later.

Message 2 of 22
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

I applied for Costco Amex last June inside the Costco. I got approved instantly for $2K. My utilization was around 4% to 5%. I had my Rewards Plus Gold only for six months when I applied for the card.  I shopped a lot at Costco and it didn't help to get the higher limit. 

Ron.

Message 3 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hauling, you the careful one. You'll not have any difficulty getting the card. You might want to look Amex-Lowes card also.

Message 4 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Red1Blue wrote:

Hauling, you the careful one. You'll not have any difficulty getting the card. You might want to look Amex-Lowes card also.

lol, thanks. I'm pretty sure that I can get the card. I'm just greedy --I want a good CL.  Smiley Wink

So far we seem to have a consensus for a $2K CL for those who are new or new-ish to Costco.

Anyone else?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 22
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Well, I was a costco member for 4 years and then apply for the trueearning card this year.  Got a $2k CL and then 6 month later, push the luv button for a $5k CL. I was happy for getting the initial CL of 2k instead of $300.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw your post yesterday but i wasn't able to answer because i just don't know. However, i can answer your question today because of recent mail from AMEX that came into my mailbox today.

My costco membership would be expried in next 45 days and they are asking me to renew it. Otherwise, they would close my Truearnings card. That means you gotta be a costco member to have Truearning card.

I'm not sure you gotta be a primary member or it's ok to be an additional card holder. I guess you gotta call them to confirm it.

Hope it helps Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this info will help, but I app'd for the Costco True Earnings card in the store, last Septemberish, and got a 4k credit line. The guy at the membership desk input the application himself (I only signed the agreement). I don't know (didn't think to ask) if he asked for/recommended a limit or if it was automatic. I was already a long-time Costco member (the Executive membership ($100) vs. the regular membership ($50). <-- I wonder if that had something to do with it? I was also in the process of making a purchase-- can't recall how much now, but I think maybe $400-$500. I got an instant decision with a credit line of $4k. I recall when I posted about getting the card, there were a rash of people who had recently applied, and there were at least 2 to 3 others who got $4k, and I don't think we ever did figure out what the trigger was.

I suspect (could be wrong) that either geography, or membership level might have something to do with it. [edited to clarify] Areas that have a higher cost of living may be adjusted for the higher credit line upon qualification.

Here's the most ironic part-- I only signed-up for the exec level membership one year, because they were running some special that made it cheaper than the regular membership at renewal time. I had fully planned to go back to the regular membership the next year, but every year I end up getting a 'rewards' check in the mail (not the cashback from my Costco true earnings... that comes in February) that exceeds the $100 cost of renewal. I never got a check when I had the regular membership, so I stick with the exec membership.

Message 8 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if this info will help, but I app'd for the Costco True Earnings card in the store, last Septemberish, and got a 4k credit line. The guy at the membership desk input the application himself (I only signed the agreement). I don't know (didn't think to ask) if he asked for/recommended a limit or if it was automatic. I was already a long-time Costco member (the Executive membership ($100) vs. the regular membership ($50). <-- I wonder if that had something to do with it? I was also in the process of making a purchase-- can't recall how much now, but I think maybe $400-$500. I got an instant decision with a credit line of $4k. I recall when I posted about getting the card, there were a rash of people who had recently applied, and there were at least 2 to 3 others who got $4k, and I don't think we ever did figure out what the trigger was.

I suspect (could be wrong) that either geography, or membership level might have something to do with it. [edited to clarify] Areas that have a higher cost of living may be adjusted for the higher credit line upon qualification.

Here's the most ironic part-- I only signed-up for the exec level membership one year, because they were running some special that made it cheaper than the regular membership at renewal time. I had fully planned to go back to the regular membership the next year, but every year I end up getting a 'rewards' check in the mail (not the cashback from my Costco true earnings... that comes in February) that exceeds the $100 cost of renewal. I never got a check when I had the regular membership, so I stick with the exec membership.

Wow, you must do some serious shopping there!  Smiley Surprised

Maybe $2K is just where they start you, regular member or new, and you can hope for $4K if you're an executive member or you have a full cart at the time. Although as you say, the pattern's not really evident. Interesting that we keep seeing $2K and $4k as initial limits, though.

Since the fee for the card is actually the fee for the membership, and you don't have to pay again if you're already a member, I'll probably go ahead and join now and then get the card in January, as mentioned. And a lower limit is not the end of the world, but my eventual goal is to close my Blue and keep this, since this is the only AmEx card that I can really consider a rewards card that doesn't cost the earth. They started me at $2,500 on Blue and it's now at $5K, so it'd be nice to not be too far below this level.

Message 9 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, you must do some serious shopping there!  Smiley Surprised

Maybe $2K is just where they start you, regular member or new, and you can hope for $4K if you're an executive member or you have a full cart at the time. Although as you say, the pattern's not really evident. Interesting that we keep seeing $2K and $4k as initial limits, though.

Since the fee for the card is actually the fee for the membership, and you don't have to pay again if you're already a member, I'll probably go ahead and join now and then get the card in January, as mentioned. And a lower limit is not the end of the world, but my eventual goal is to close my Blue and keep this, since this is the only AmEx card that I can really consider a rewards card that doesn't cost the earth. They started me at $2,500 on Blue and it's now at $5K, so it'd be nice to not be too far below this level.

You might want to call them and see if they would do the product change since you are planning on closing the blue. Worth asking instead of apping for a new card.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.