cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recent experiences with Navy Federal nRewards secured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recent experiences with Navy Federal nRewards secured?

I opened an nRewards secured in March of 2016 with a limit of $500. Increased the limit to $800 a week or two later. Perfect payment history since, with the exception of in November or December where the statement balance was $25, but the minimum payment was $0.00. I wasn't late on the payment, it just accrued a few cents of interest.

Since then I have opened a Discover It with a $1500 limit and that has been my daily driver with 100% perfect payment history. I charge a little (and pay off in full) on the nRewards each month in hopes of upping my chances of unsecuring.

My credit scores are as follows:

745 FICO9 according to Navy Fed

731 according to Discover's FICO score

725 TU 733 Equifax according to Credit Karma

I don't need the $800, but I am frusturated that Navy Fed is holding my money hostage when I have a good credit score, no late payments and I have a checking and certificate with them. I called and SM'd with no luck. All data points that said that they have secured seem to be from a few years ago. Has anyone recently had their card unsecured by Navy Fed?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any recent experiences with Navy Federal nRewards secured?

I would re apply for a new card if you impatient. Many people have theirs unsecured. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My concern isn't getting a higher limit or anything like that, it's AAoA and number of accounts. If I opened a new card and closed that one, it would impact both those factors. However, I can't just leave the card open consequence free, it holds $800 hostage for no good reason.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My concern isn't getting a higher limit or anything like that, it's AAoA and number of accounts. If I opened a new card and closed that one, it would impact both those factors. However, I can't just leave the card open consequence free, it holds $800 hostage for no good reason.

Closing your current account would not affect you AAoA. Opening a new account would. Closed accounts stay on your report and factor into AAoA for years. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navyfedplz

Mine unsecured...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.