cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recent successes with Costco Amex or Discover More CLIs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recent successes with Costco Amex or Discover More CLIs?

My Costco Amex and my Discover More are both stuck at a $2,000 limit like glue. I read of automatic CLIs for others, but this never happened with my cards. I'm pondering whether I should just try my luck and press the button on the Amex site and hope for no hard inquiry. I heard the Discover process goes via telephone (hard or soft, I don't know). I'll have to wait a bit in any case, as I somehow managed to let all my cards report balances this month, but I can rectify that for next month.

Anyway, how is the climate at the moment? Do these CLI requests go through, or do you still risk getting your card closed when you press that button?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any recent successes with Costco Amex or Discover More CLIs?

Discover is soft.  I don't get auto-CLI's through Discover.  But I requested a phone IVR CLI at 6 months and received $2k CLI on top of my $2k CL.  But had I not asked, I would still be sitting at my initial CL, no doubt.  This is a soft pull, if any.

Message 2 of 18
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

It seems that everyone knows about the Discover phone IVR CLI request option, but AMEX has essentially the same phone option too.

I was successful in getting a CLI via Discover phone option in October, exactly one year after opening, and also an AMEX CLI via phone in November on a card first opened in June 08.

If the luv button appears on your AMEX screen, you probably have a good shot. Apparently a lot of people don't have that option on their account screens.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 3 of 18
tracynva
Established Member

I just received an automatic CLI on my 3 month old Discover More card.  I just posted a thread which details my usage...maybe it will help.

Starting Score (6/9/09): TU 610 | EQ 600
Current Score (04/12/2016): TU 820 | EQ 816
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Costco Amex and my Discover More are both stuck at a $2,000 limit like glue. I read of automatic CLIs for others, but this never happened with my cards. I'm pondering whether I should just try my luck and press the button on the Amex site and hope for no hard inquiry. I heard the Discover process goes via telephone (hard or soft, I don't know). I'll have to wait a bit in any case, as I somehow managed to let all my cards report balances this month, but I can rectify that for next month.

Anyway, how is the climate at the moment? Do these CLI requests go through, or do you still risk getting your card closed when you press that button?

Ulan,

I applied in-store but the credit limit (7500) wasn't enough to do what I wanted. (remodeling project)  I called for an increase and got the 60 day mandatory waiting period spiel.  I hammered the card and had to pay it off 3 times before the first payment was actually due.  My 60 days was up Jan 4.   I called on the 12th. 

If you pay your bills and your scores are good you have nothing to lose.  Call them!  It worked for me.  I called the number on the card, went thru the automated voice system, asked for more than I really wanted, (25K, turned down....lol) and was finally given the option to say "Representive."  They're fast and friendly.  Got a 15K increase in less than 5 minutes to 22,500.  All I had to do was state my hh income.  NOTE: They will only do 3 x's your limit at one time.  I'm not sure what the waiting period is for the next increase.  Anyone?

Go for it and let us know.

D-R

ETA: They did a "soft" on Experian

Message Edited by Desert-Rat on 01-23-2010 10:22 PM
Message 5 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover is soft.  I don't get auto-CLI's through Discover.  But I requested a phone IVR CLI at 6 months and received $2k CLI on top of my $2k CL.  But had I not asked, I would still be sitting at my initial CL, no doubt.  This is a soft pull, if any.

Discover can be a soft or hard INQ. However, you won't get a hard INQ for the auto increases or IVR initiated requests when it is an approval. If you use the IVR process and are transferred to a credit analyst you approval may involve a hard INQ but they will request permission before pulling your report. While possible they do not do it frequently.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay guys, that sounds quite reassuring. I'll try my luck as soon as my number of accounts with reported balances is down to something reasonable.
Message 7 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

If you're on the Discover More's Golden Program, you can expect CLI's every three months.  They would have informed you upon receipt of the card if you are.  Only a few are selected. 
Message 8 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:
If you're on the Discover More's Golden Program, you can expect CLI's every three months.  They would have informed you upon receipt of the card if you are.  Only a few are selected. 

I don't think it's a matter of selection. If it is by some chance I'm quite pleased not to have been chosen.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@DI wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of selection. If it is by some chance I'm quite pleased not to have been chosen.

+1.

I would much rather have my higher starting limit and have to wait 'til 6 months (or a year.. will find out when my 6th statement closes tomorrow!)

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.