cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any such thing as in-branch prequals?

CoffeeCup
Established Member

Any such thing as in-branch prequals?

When I was opening a checking account with US Bank, I already had a credit card with them.  But they asked me if it was meeting my needs and if I wanted another one.  I got an HP from them for the account so I'm sure they had my credit score so was that merely a random question or could they see an offer for another card on their screen?  Anyone know?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OpenG
Established Contributor

Re: Any such thing as in-branch prequals?

Yes, funny you ask a few months ago I was in my local citizens branch getting a cashiers check to take with me to my closing later that day. As I was waiting for the transaction the cashier said "congratulations you have been pre approved". We both looked at each other and started laughing, I said maybe another day.
Message 2 of 6
FinStar

@CoffeeCup wrote:

When I was opening a checking account with US Bank, I already had a credit card with them.  But they asked me if it was meeting my needs and if I wanted another one.  I got an HP from them for the account so I'm sure they had my credit score so was that merely a random question or could they see an offer for another card on their screen?  Anyone know?

Yes, there is such a thing as prequalified or preapproved offers at some banking centers.  Some of these may be available at the branch only and not online, others can be available through either channel, it just depends.  US Bank, BOA, Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi are some banks that offer them including CUs.  These are part of their cross-selling opportunities if you meet their eligibility criteria.

Message 3 of 6
UncleB

I know BBVA/Compass (back when they were still just 'Compass') used to do this when you opened a new checking account. 

Message 4 of 6
LadyAng
Regular Contributor

Yes it exists. Hubby financed a vehicle at the credit union a couple years ago and they offered him a mastercard, too. Same HP. I guess it's efficient to upsell the customer while you already have their loan app.

Hit the 36-month mark January 2020! The last HD (mobile phone change) dropped off Nov 2019. BK7 Discharge is 6 yrs post.
Message 5 of 6
CoffeeCup
Established Member

Thanks everyone for responding!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.