Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips on asking for a recon?

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Any tips on asking for a recon?

For those who haven't seen recent posts by me, I was denied by my own bank for the PNC Cashbuilder. I called and got the direct number to underwriting and will be give them a cal tomorrow. And for those who have been successful with recons, what's the conversation usually like? do you guys have any tips on how I should ask for a recon? What are the common questions asked when someone calls to ask for a recon? etc.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Any tips on asking for a recon?

@WallyxD wrote:

For those who haven't seen recent posts by me, I was denied by my own bank for the PNC Cashbuilder. I called and got the direct number to underwriting and will be give them a cal tomorrow. And for those who have been successful with recons, what's the conversation usually like? do you guys have any tips on how I should ask for a recon? What are the common questions asked when someone calls to ask for a recon? etc.

In me experiece they will ask you to hold while they look in to your report. If you have baddies just plead your case and be truthful because your report is in front of them. Also do indicate you do bank with them and have that relationship. Good luck!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 13
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Be forth coming about the bad (if there is any) say why it happened and why it won't happen again. Reiterate the good. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 3 of 13
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

That's the thing, my report doesn't have any baddies. It's only a under 2 years old. I feel as though I got denied because of my income, but there's not much I can do about that being as though I'm in school. When I call, I will say, "I figured it'd be taken into consideration that I've been with you guys for a while now".

And while asking them to manually review my application, should I ask that they take into consideration that I'm a FT student and work PT, which explains the low income?

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

Message 4 of 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

That's the thing, my report doesn't have any baddies. It's only a under 2 years old. I feel as though I got denied because of my income, but there's not much I can do about that being as though I'm in school. When I call, I will say, "I figured it'd be taken into consideration that I've been with you guys for a while now".

And while asking them to manually review my application, should I ask that they take into consideration that I'm a FT student and work PT, which explains the low income?

If they offer a student version then ask for it. CITI has the Forward card for Students which I hear is good.

Message 5 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I just say that I was denied by the computer, most likely because of a short history, so would it be possible for a human to look at it. It works everytime and I ususally get the card.

The only question I get asked is why all the inquiries or new accounts and I just explain that I want to get credit now while young, instead of when I am old. What is the income that you have, if you do not mind. If you do not wish to be specific you can do a range, like from 0-10000, 10000-20000. I only ask because if it is really low they may suggest getting a secured card from them instead. They do not have student versions of their cards.

Message 6 of 13
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I just say that I was denied by the computer, most likely because of a short history, so would it be possible for a human to look at it. It works everytime and I ususally get the card.

The only question I get asked is why all the inquiries or new accounts and I just explain that I want to get credit now while young, instead of when I am old. What is the income that you have, if you do not mind. If you do not wish to be specific you can do a range, like from 0-10000, 10000-20000. I only ask because if it is really low they may suggest getting a secured card from them instead. They do not have student versions of their cards.

I think I may just do that. And I don't mind at all, my income is 8900. Cashiers don't make a lot as I'm sure everyone knows haha.

Message 7 of 13
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@WallyxD wrote:

If they offer a student version then ask for it. CITI has the Forward card for Students which I hear is good.

I don't think PNC offers student cards. And does CITI approve community college students? I ask this because I've heard that Discover only wants four year university students applying for their student cards.

Message 8 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

I think I may just do that. And I don't mind at all, my income is 8900. Cashiers don't make a lot as I'm sure everyone knows haha.

With that I do not see why they could not at least give 500 or 1000.

Citi does accept community colleges, and they did not ask for any verification when I applied for my little brother. Discover did ask  for a receipt of tuition payment, class schedule, or something like that to be able to approve it. I do not know if they accept community colleges, because with them I had to type in the college name. Citi has a drop down list after you select the state and city.

Message 9 of 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

You should do a live chat with a rep for Discover and ask, there is no harm. Also they do offer the new IT card for students

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.