cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to get Amex to activate a canceled card that was never activated?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any way to get Amex to activate a canceled card that was never activated?

@Anonymous wrote:

I get so frustrated sometimes at the inconsistent quality of service that I sometimes see that it makes me want to go back. I was on top of everyone like a hawk back then! Smiley Tongue

Yeah I had multiple phone calls and chats. I was understandably bitter, especially since my background includes 2006-2009 at Comcast where I held the company record for most perfect QAs (they called them Moments of Excellence) in a year - I was great at customer service and I never made customers jump through hoops if I could make it easier for them so the whole thing with Amex left a really bad taste in my mouth and put me on the path of dissuading people from Amex every chance I got. 

Message 11 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get so frustrated sometimes at the inconsistent quality of service that I sometimes see that it makes me want to go back. I was on top of everyone like a hawk back then! Smiley Tongue

Your moving on was clearly their loss, but I'm glad you've chosen to stick around here with us.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 22
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

If you want in with Amex. You'll have to forfeit another HP unfortunately.

It's more than worth it IMHO 

I have checked and I haven’t been prequalified since I canceled this card. Obviously their system thinks I am a churner. 

Just because you don't see prequals, doesn't mean you don't qualify. Give it at least 90 days from your last app and try again. I've pre-qualified for only two or three of the CCs I've had with them. The majority were cold apps 

Message 13 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

I have checked and I haven’t been prequalified since I canceled this card. Obviously their system thinks I am a churner. 

Just because you don't see prequals, doesn't mean you don't qualify. Give it at least 90 days from your last app and try again. I've pre-qualified for only two or three of the CCs I've had with them. The majority were cold apps 

+1

FWIW, when I got my BCP and Green back in 2015 I didn't prequal for anything.  They were completely cold apps.  Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

I am not sure that I would have a satisfactory outcome with 6 new cards in the last twelve months even if Experian only has 2 inquiries (one from Amex, one from BBVA) and has had a lift from 663 to 671. And if I did get approved, I would no doubt be ineligible for the SUB even though I never activated the old card but I’ll think about it. 

Message 15 of 22
Gmood1
Super Contributor

You'll get a pop up telling you, you're not able to get the sub. I find that highly unlikely. You never collected the last SUB. lol
Amex isn't a stickler on inqs or new accounts IME.
That's why I suggested giving it at least 90 days. You'll be fine.

I've opened 24 in the last 24 months. 😂
You look like a new born baby to Amex, compared to me 😆

Message 16 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with @UncleB and @Gmood1 on the lack of specific pre-approvals. Don't let that stop you 😁 Within reason and good strategy of course.

My last 4 AmEx CCs, from July through end of Dec (excluding Biz CCs), all were approved including PRG (prior to Gold refresh), Cash Magnet, Schwab, Ameriprise (ooops forgot to post that in approvals but who's counting 😁).

Bottom line OP, AmEx is a pretty decent company to do business with and I hope you can reconcile and put that past experience behind you.
Message 17 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP please tell me you are not going to try to get the account disputed / deleted off your CR It is now almost a year old. It is now boosting your AAoA. It is a clean, closed account. I have something like 8 closed CC accounts. They are a non-issue in scoring. Enjoy the AAoA boost.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
OP please tell me you are not going to try to get the account disputed / deleted off your CR It is now almost a year old. It is now boosting your AAoA. It is a clean, closed account. I have something like 8 closed CC accounts. They are a non-issue in scoring. Enjoy the AAoA boost.

Yeah I am going to leave it alone, it just looks like a black mark when someone is reviewing my credit report manually. I guarantee Chase would see that 2 month account and say “he’s a churner! Don’t approve!”

Message 19 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

As stated, too much time has passed. The benefit i see on getting in with Amex is aftereards, after establishing yourself, many following apps are normally sp. I think if ever you need to do a big spend, thats the right time for you to get sn Amex so you can fulfill a Sub and get something back for spend. Just my opinion thoughSmiley Wink
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.