Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Had Fraud On Their Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone Had Fraud On Their Cards?

I was wondering how many of you on here have had fraud committed on any of your cards?  I have had to close two of my PenFed cards due to fraud! 

Just last year around Christmas, the security department at PenFed called me and asked me about charges that looked suspicious.  Someone in Columbus, Ohio (I live in California) had charged at Game Stop and Kroger.  It wasn't an exorbitant amount but on a card that has a 10k balance at the time, I was afraid!

Surprisingly, the PenFed card is the only card, out of seven, I've had fraud on.  My friend tells me that most times, it's an "inside job", in other words, someone at the company.  I've ordered hundreds of items over the internet (I should buy stock in Amazon. com!) and the only times I've had a problem was with PenFed.

Feedback?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone Had Fraud On Their Cards?

i should be so lucky to have a credit prolfile that someone would want to be associated/bothering with it.
Message 2 of 8
John060675
Valued Contributor

MsQueenB,

I have had my debit card used before illegally.  I contacted Wells Fargo and they researched it and credited my back the money.  Of course, they gave me a new card.

Mine was being used for illegal gambling online.  I still do not know how they got my debit card #.  I only use it for local items, and not online orders. 

To their credit, WF was awesome.  Of course, I never want to have that happen again!  I hope you are wrong about PenFed.  I just joined them last month, and I will be getting a debit card from them shortly.

Thanks

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

John,

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PenFed!  But, it does make sense that someone who has access to all your card information would be the one to commit fraud.  My computer is secure, I always check the certificates of the web sites when I purchase online (something I learned from a WAMU rep.  She told me that a lot of companies have expired certiifcates and to always check before entering any info), and isn't it a wee bit weird that of 7 cards that the same one would have fraud twice?  Like I say, I do a lot of online purchasing, esp. at Christmas.

Well anyway, PenFed was on top of it right away and credited everything back after I had to fill out an affidavit that it wasn't ME that ordered the stuff!Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple months ago I had fraud happen on my Chase CC. I made a payment on my account for $95.51 and the day after the payment posted, there was a pending cash advance in the same amount and for location it just said Wilmington. Now I don't know if that's the city it happened in, but I'm in NYC and there's a Wilmington in NC and DE, where I've never been. The thing I don't understand is how does one have a cash advance in such an amount if ATM's give in $20's. Also I think it strange that someone would obtain my pin if I don't even know what it is and I would never use it. I found it odd that all it took was a quick call to Chase and they instantly reversed the charge and sent me a new card. They told me that they'll also send me a form to fill out but when I didn't receive it and called them to ask, they said it was fine. I assumed that maybe their systems were hacked because otherwise it just doesn't make sense.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just yesterday DH called me and asked where all his money in his checking account went to. I had just looked at the banking that morning and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Sure enough I logged in and his checking account had $1.99, $160 gone. We knew of some charges but between us we determined that we couldn't figure out where it went.
So I called NFCU and they were able to tell me that it was PayPal for $149.95. So later in the day when DH got home we called PayPal and were able to determine through them that someone had gotten DH's debit card number and charged some domain name/visitor boost thing. PayPal has started an investigation for us and we immediately called NFCU and canceled that card and we're having a new one issued.
It appears to be a one time thing.

One thing we are going to do soon is change DH's banking to USAA with mine, as soon as the card is swiped you can check your account and see the charge, with NFCU you have to wait a day or two until the charge posts. If we didn't keep an eagle eye on our accounts we might have missed this one. And of course with it being DH's account, he's on allowance so he definitely pays attention, LOL!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH actually had it occur at the drug stoe (we go to the store - do not do the mail order routine) - well someone got the number and was paying for drugs with his card (none of the drugs has scripts on file for DH) - it was credited back within 24 hours (almost $1K because we found 2 from previous months).

Turns out the same clerk processed all the transactions and same address that it was all delivered to - Insurance fraud, bank fraud, and because it was across state lines the FEDS got involved.  Oh, and it wasn't only him - the insurance company tracked down 2 other victims.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i had this happen with HSBC back in 2003. i logged into my account to see if my payment posted and had a charge for 2 jet blue tickets to bermuda. had to call and cancel right away
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.