Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone close a Sears card recently?

tag
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Anyone close a Sears card recently?

I closed my Sears card that I opened in 1999 due to no stores around anymore and wasn't comfortable where that account would go after the bankruptcy.

I'm fairly new to knowing how credit and credit score really works. I just assumed you pay your bills on time and your fine....

Well recently I downloaded my credit report (first time ever) and I was shocked to see that the Sears card I just closed in December wasn't on the TU report... It was more than just a store card, it was a Mastercard that I could use anywhere...

I then downloaded the EX report and it showed the card was closed in 2007 and last report was 2013....

I've had been using the card all the way up to Dec of 2018... There was a few years I didn't use the card, but I never had it not work when I did use it...

Anyone else close a Sears card recently? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone close a Sears card recently?

Not yet. There is still one remaining store left in our area (and I'm sure its days are numbered), but even without it, I receive several promotional offers on the card + Thank You points are still of good value IME with the card vs. SYW.
Message 2 of 9
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Yankee2 wrote:

I closed my Sears card that I opened in 1999 due to no stores around anymore and wasn't comfortable where that account would go after the bankruptcy.

I'm fairly new to knowing how credit and credit score really works. I just assumed you pay your bills on time and your fine....

Well recently I downloaded my credit report (first time ever) and I was shocked to see that the Sears card I just closed in December wasn't on the TU report... It was more than just a store card, it was a Mastercard that I could use anywhere...

I then downloaded the EX report and it showed the card was closed in 2007 and last report was 2013....

I've had been using the card all the way up to Dec of 2018... There was a few years I didn't use the card, but I never had it not work when I did use it...

Look more carefully. 

If you were using the card until Dec 2018 but it shows a closed account in 2007, there *MAY* have been another Sears store account you had and maybe you added a MC instead of converting the store account. 

Or perhaps, did you have an earlier major purchase like an applicance that you opened a different account to finance, paid it off,  and then forgot about it before they eventually closed it?  I think you're missing something.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Not yet. There is still one remaining store left in our area (and I'm sure its days are numbered), but even without it, I receive several promotional offers on the card + Thank You points are still of good value IME with the card vs. SYW.

+1.  Citi keeps throwing me bonus offers of 10x bonus TYP per dollar with realistic thresholds for organic spend on my (now World) MasterCard.   If they keep making it worthwhile for me to use the card I'll happily keep on using it. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Compare the acount number on the report to your newly closed card and see if they are the same or not

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@coldfusion knows my offers lol. My account page actually says my mastercard, which was converted from a store card, is getting some sort of makeup so who knows what ill have nextSmiley Wink. I still have 4 bt offers on mine though the 5% is kinda high.
Message 6 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
@coldfusionknows my offers lol. My account page actually says my mastercard, which was converted from a store card, is getting some sort of makeup so who knows what ill have nextSmiley Wink. I still have 4 bt offers on mine though the 5% is kinda high.

I can't remember the last time I was in a Sears store, over 10 years ago, but just got the Sears MC this past January because of the offers AJC & coldfusion posted about. Yeah, that 5% BT fee offer is too high, but I beat them to the punch - a while back I got an offer of 12 months 0% on a "non-Sears" purchase of $500 or more. So I opened bank accounts at banks I knew coded CC funding as a purchase, one for $500 & another for $1k. Nice BT with no fees. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Yankee2 wrote:

Look more carefully. 

If you were using the card until Dec 2018 but it shows a closed account in 2007, there *MAY* have been another Sears store account you had and maybe you added a MC instead of converting the store account. 

Or perhaps, did you have an earlier major purchase like an applicance that you opened a different account to finance, paid it off,  and then forgot about it before they eventually closed it?  I think you're missing something.

Good point, I didn't even think of checking the account number.... Well just did, the EX report doesn't show the account number, it's blank... actually they are blank on all the accounts..

So it's either two things that really shouldn't have happened....

1) If the account was original, it shouldn't have dropped off my CR

2) If it was another account that I opened and forgot, it still shouldn't have dropped off my report... 

Message 8 of 9
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Looking at my statement, I was mistaken and I closed it 9/18 not 12/18 (still it's just 1 year)

The statement shows it was the Citi Sears Mastercard.

I'm curious if others that have it if it shows on thier report.... 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.