Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else get this from WF?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone else get this from WF?

I'm gonna hold off until WF unveils their AMEX next year and see whether that may tickle my fancy... that is, if the reward structure seems optimal.

Message 11 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Haha, I think this might end up being my first card that gets used solely for MS. If they shut me down, so be it. I have much less use for WF than for Citi, primarily given there are no branches near me. Guess I will have to wait for my next trip south.

Also, I can't believe I can pick you out of a crowd like that. Smiley Happy. You need to change up your writing style.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 12 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Haha, I think this might end up being my first card that gets used solely for MS. If they shut me down, so be it. I have much less use for WF than for Citi, primarily given there are no branches near me. Guess I will have to wait for my next trip south.

Also, I can't believe I can pick you out of a crowd like that. Smiley Happy. You need to change up your writing style.

I use 150 different names on THIS forum, so there's bound to be an identification sooner or later!

Message 13 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

Nice to see Wells finally "upping" their game in the CC arena.  They seem to be pacing themselves before ramping up (which is consistent with their culture), but I fervently hope it'll be full speed ahead in 2014.

Wells in the game to compete with Amex, Chase, Citi and the rest would only benefit consumers.  Time to camp outside their doors, kind of like "barbarians at the gate."   Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 24
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
From discussions on other forums, it seems that applications need to be in person. So having a mortgage with hem would certainly give you a reason to pop in and see if you're pre-approved.

Longtime, were you involved with the discussion on the other thread re: MS? Someone there also mentioned a mortgage... Thoughts on that?

My DH has been receiving pre-approval offers for the points version Visa Siggy card.  He applied online for it last Friday, so I don't think it requires in-person app?

I keep getting offers for the mortgage rebate rewards version.  Bleh.  I like to be able to spend my rewards on whatever I want - don't like to be controlled!  lol

We are definitely gonig to perform some "MS" with this card to maximize the rewards during the first 6-months.  Although, we don't have any CVS stores here in WA state, so it's going to be tricky for us to get our hands on VR and be able to pay for them with this credit card.  But I've been reading that 7-11 may be an option, but that would only work if 7-11 gets coded as "gas station."  YMMV, as always.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 15 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:
From discussions on other forums, it seems that applications need to be in person. So having a mortgage with hem would certainly give you a reason to pop in and see if you're pre-approved.

Longtime, were you involved with the discussion on the other thread re: MS? Someone there also mentioned a mortgage... Thoughts on that?

My DH has been receiving pre-approval offers for the points version Visa Siggy card.  He applied online for it last Friday, so I don't think it requires in-person app?

I keep getting offers for the mortgage rebate rewards version.  Bleh.  I like to be able to spend my rewards on whatever I want - don't like to be controlled!  lol

We are definitely gonig to perform some "MS" with this card to maximize the rewards during the first 6-months.  Although, we don't have any CVS stores here in WA state, so it's going to be tricky for us to get our hands on VR and be able to pay for them with this credit card.  But I've been reading that 7-11 may be an option, but that would only work if 7-11 gets coded as "gas station."  YMMV, as always.

Do you have a Wal-mart?  Next best thing...

Message 16 of 24
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

Do you have a Wal-mart?  Next best thing...

Oh yes, there are several Wal-Marts within a 10-mile radius of our home.  Would Wal-Mart let us use a credit card to buy the VR?  The 5x grocery category would work for Wal-Mart (it is coded as grocery for my Cash+).  I've already ordered a Bluebird card online from Amex.

Please, teach me, yoda!  Smiley Very Happy

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 17 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You just need to buy $500 MC/V gift cards from a supermarket (or potentially from Walmart if they sell them and they really will be coded as supermarket).  Get a PIN (call the number on the back of the card or in many cases set it on first use), take it to Walmart and you can load it onto your bluebird for free.

The only reason this is less good than VR is the price, it's often $4.95 or $5.95 per $500 gift card, vs $3.95 for the VR, but still worthwhile in either case.

Message 18 of 24
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

You just need to buy $500 MC/V gift cards from a supermarket (or potentially from Walmart if they sell them and they really will be coded as supermarket).  Get a PIN (call the number on the back of the card or in many cases set it on first use), take it to Walmart and you can load it onto your bluebird for free.

The only reason this is less good than VR is the price, it's often $4.95 or $5.95 per $500 gift card, vs $3.95 for the VR, but still worthwhile in either case.

Thanks for the info - definitely going to try that at Wal-Mart once DH gets the WF card in the mail.  I've read on other forums that most stores don't seem to allow purchasing of those MC/V gift cards with a credit card, so I guess that is my only real concern.  I know I once tried to buy a Visa gift card at Safeway with my Amex BCE card and the clerk told me I had to buy the gift card with a debit card or cash.  Smiley Sad

I remember you posting about being able to buy Chase Visa gift cards using a Chase credit card (Freedom) and that the transaction does give the 1% cash back rewards.  1% isn't 5%, but as a last resort it's better than nothing!  I think you also may have posted that WF also has a Visa gift card that you can buy with any of their credit cards (similar to Chase)?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Message 19 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No idea about WF Visa Gift cards.  There was a WF prepaid card that was used for MS, but I never did that.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.