cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else hearing from BOA about "BankAmericard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else hearing from BOA about "BankAmericard?

I got an interesting letter Thursday from BOA, in regards to my CC Account with them.

They stated that they have been "reintroducing" the "BANKAMERICARD", (which it was originally called before it changed its name to VISA) and wished me to "convert my current account to a "BankAmericard Rewards Visa".

In the letter, they mentioned that their records indiciated I have had this account since 1974 (yes, I remember my initial Credit Limit was $300) and they wished to return "LEGACY CUSTOMERS" to the original, "BANKAMERICARD" Card.

Although it is an attractive card and I have have no complaints over the years with them, I did find it rather amusing that they wished to do this.

We keep hearing horror stories about how the CC Industry is slashing and burning customers, so when the letter arrived I thought perhaps now it is my turn, as I have not received and changes to my 4 open Credit Card accounts.  I was quite surprised that they even stated my "New BankAmericard" would , along with all the other "wonderful" and "exciting" features would include a DOUBLING OF MY CURRENT CREDIT LIMIT!!

Maybe things are not as bad as we keep hearing.Smiley Happy

Anyway, I was just wondering if any other "old timers" with BOA had been offered this?

Then again, although I use my card every month, but have not applied for credit to anyone or asked for a CLI in over eight years, maybe they just wanted to see if I still had a pulse.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone else hearing from BOA about "BankAmericard?

I read about those online, and they appear to be their premium cards.  I'd call and ask them the scoop.  I've only been with them for a year (7.24% interest, I must be one of the last ones), so I doubt I'll get that letter. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called in a few months ago asking about a PC to a reward card (had the Plat Plus Visa) and the BancAmericard Reward Visa is what they set me up on.

I like it.  The rewards are decent and easy to redeem and can be transferred to any account (BoA or other) or even transferred to another BoA customer.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In the letter, they mentioned that their records indiciated I have had this account since 1974 (yes, I remember my initial Credit Limit was $300) and they wished to return "LEGACY CUSTOMERS" to the original, "BANKAMERICARD" Card. 

Wow, does that bring back memories! My 1st real CC was a Chase Manhattan BankAmericard, issued, I think, in 1975. A few months later, the association of banks that issued this card changed its name to Visa, mainly because most of the member banks were unhappy about issuing cards that displayed Bank of America's name. (BOA did invent the modern bank CC back in the 1950s.)

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got an interesting letter Thursday from BOA, in regards to my CC Account with them.

I was quite surprised that they even stated my "New BankAmericard" would , along with all the other "wonderful" and "exciting" features would include a DOUBLING OF MY CURRENT CREDIT LIMIT!!

Anyway, I was just wondering if any other "old timers" with BOA had been offered this?

Then again, although I use my card every month, but have not applied for credit to anyone or asked for a CLI in over eight years, maybe they just wanted to see if I still had a pulse.

Many people have reported getting letters of doubling from BoA....unfortunately it was for interest and fees Smiley Wink

Congrats!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, does that bring back memories! My 1st real CC was a Chase Manhattan BankAmericard, issued, I think, in 1975. A few months later, the association of banks that issued this card changed its name to Visa, mainly because most of the member banks were unhappy about issuing cards that displayed Bank of America's name. (BOA did invent the modern bank CC back in the 1950s.)

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was quite surprised that they even stated my "New BankAmericard" would , along with all the other "wonderful" and "exciting" features would include a DOUBLING OF MY CURRENT CREDIT LIMIT!!

Many people have reported getting letters of doubling from BoA....unfortunately it was for interest and fees Smiley Wink

Congrats!

Yes, it is a good offer John, but being an "old dog" and very content with my uncomplicated life, I am going to turn it down.

I will tell them when my BOA comes up for renewel, if the wish to issue me that "style" of card thats fine, but at this point I really see no need to switch.

Message 7 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My very first credit card was a BankAmericard with the same $300 limit.  It was originally opened as a "no card" account (every purchase had to be called in and approved.  All I was issued was an account number).  That was in late 1972 or early 1973. 

It took me about six months to receive the actual credit card!   I felt like a million bucks when I got it, very proud to be taken off the "no card" probation...

I've still got that original card around here somewhere, and NOW I've got to see if I can locate it...thanks a heap, DickC!  lol

Message 8 of 9
Lyythine
Established Contributor

A Couple months ago I was helping my mother and uncle clean out my grandfathers old house b/c he was moving into an apartment close to my mother and while moving, I found a box full of documents, mostly checks from the grocery store he used to own going back to the late 30's/40's but along with those docs, I found an old American Express issued in 57 and a couple old passports from the 40's/50's which was just an awesome find!!  Although im still young in comparison, I wouldnt mind going back to those days - things just seem easier from my point of view...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.