cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever request bureau to pull for HP CLI?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Anyone ever request bureau to pull for HP CLI?

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica

I have done it, and the bank I did it with was Citi.

I have the Double Cash card, was approved with a 2k starting limit, and over a 2 year period was locked in at 2k, all 'luv button' requests being denied.

When, after 2 years, I was finally offered the opportunity for soft pull CLI requests, they continued to turn me down based on a 4 or 5 month old report which carried a much lower than the score I had at the time. 

I finally decided I was going to try to get them to do a hard pull, and if they didn't grant me a CLI I was going to close the card.

I applied by phone so there would be no misunderstanding. I told the rep that I was specifically requesting a hard pull so they would have my current information, not my stale information from the soft pull. He said it could be done, he did the hard pull, and my CL was raised from 2k to 10k.

BTW BBS, shouldn't this be under "credit cards"?

I'm not really sure if it should be under the credit cards section, but if the mods feel it would be better suited there by all means they can move it.

I may be missing something, SJ, but I don't see in your reply you mentioning requesting a specific bureau to take the HP on from your Citi request.  That's specifically what I'm looking for here, as I know plenty of people have received HP CLIs from many lenders, Citi included.  I took a HP CLI from Citi last fall and they gave me the HP on EQ... which seems somewhat counterproductive in that you know they're already pulling EQ every single month for account maintenance and your monthly score update. 

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. No I didn't tell them which bureau.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 31
redpat
Senior Contributor

Twice for ink+ cli and when I closed my Prestige and moved CL to AA exec.  

HPs really don’t matter to me if I feel I get the benefit of them.  Besides Amex saved me four, 2 biz and 2 personal.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@AnonymousI wonder if requesting a lender only pull from a certain bureau may raise a red flag. They may question "what's this person trying to hide anyway....surely not an 850 score".

I don't think it would hurt to try though.

What's important to understand is that a lender can pull all bureaus if they want, it's just the one that they choose to HP that I'm wondering about.  I'd have no problem with taking SPs on EX and EQ, I'd just prefer they place the HP on TU.  Nothing to hide on my part, just trying to be strategic! 

Understood, but lenders have no need to accomodate any personal strategies to circumvent the lowering of a pristine FICO score.  At the end of the day, it's a minor "tap" in the overall grand scheme of things.  IMO, just take the hit wherever it lands should you decide to take the HP route.   FICO will eventually normalize again.

Message 13 of 31
redpat
Senior Contributor

BBS, an 850 score really doesn’t matter, you should know that.  You have been hanging around TT too long......

Did you have t-shirts and hats done to tell everyone?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

BBS, an 850 score really doesn’t matter, you should know that.  You have been hanging around TT too long......

Did you have t-shirts and hats done to tell everyone?

Probably not, just in case buying the t-shirts and hats would increase utilization too much.

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat

BBS, an 850 score really doesn’t matter, you should know that.

Of course I know that, it's just a goal/milestone for me as 2 years ago I was in the low 600's with my scores.  After seeing one 850, it's simply something I want to try and see on the other 2B and taking a HP on either of them to push me a year longer from achieving that isn't worth $5k-$10k on a CLI to be honest.  It's just a personal/emotional thing here that could be borderline irrational in the eyes of some, which I get, but it's still something I'd like to accomplish.

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar

Understood, but lenders have no need to accomodate any personal strategies to circumvent the lowering of a pristine FICO score.

I don't disagree, but lenders do at times listen to their customers and make small accommodations in the name of customer service.  Whether or not Citi is one of them or would do this I don't know, hence my reason for starting this thread. 

It's like when someone requests an off-cycle reporting on their credit card because they made a large payment and want the utilization to report lower to bump their score up.  Lenders have no need to accommodate such a request, as helping someone bump up their FICO score isn't a priority by any means.  Some lenders however will do this in the name of customer service, as there's no downside on their end outside of a few key strokes.  The same is true regarding my thread topic here as well, even if it's an even less common request.

Message 17 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's a great accomplishment, nevertheless.  850 is great, been there, done that. 

I guess the questions you'll have to ask yourself: do you simply accept whatever the Citi SP yields as far as the CLI and be ok with that (even if the amount doesn't meet your expectations) in order to save 850 from the HP ding?  Or, do you let Citi UW do it's thing (whichever CR they pull for your region) and see whether the fruits of that HP satisfy getting the CL to your desirable level?  One way or the other, something's gotta give.

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar

I guess the questions you'll have to ask yourself: do you simply accept whatever the Citi SP yields as far as the CLI and be ok with that (even if the amount doesn't meet your expectations) in order to save 850 from the HP ding?  Or, do you let Citi UW do it's thing (whichever CR they pull for your region) and see whether the fruits of that HP satisfy getting the CL to your desirable level?  One way or the other, something's gotta give.

I'm fairly certain the the default bureau hit for a Citi HP CLI request is EQ, regardless of region.  If anyone has an example or reference of Citi pulling something other than EQ for a HP CLI request, please say so.  My only other HP CLI from them landed on EQ, so I would tend to expect the same if I were to do the same request.

I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or another, but I'm actually looking to take the HP on the bureau that I'm at 850 on already, because I know that doing so won't drop my score below 850.  I do know that taking the HP on either of the other 2B will prevent me from achieving 850 on either of them for at least another year as long as the inquiry is scoreable, though. 

You're more than likely right that something has got to give.  I suppose I'm attempting to have my cake and eat it too here, something that's probably not going to happen.  I think I've already sort of made the decision though on what will give and that's my CL on the card, as I'm not at this time looking to suppress my EX/EQ scores any more.  If Citi isn't open to where they place their HP for a CLI request, I'll likely simply "take what I can get" with a standard SP CLI request and make do.

As an aside question, I think I've read that with Citi accounts one doesn't need to wait 180 days between SP CLIs the way that you do with other lenders like Amex, Cap One, etc.  From what I've read, it's sort of profile/account-specific, where if you have SP language there you can make a request.  That being said, are there examples out there of people obtaining SP CLIs from Citi say 3-4 months (or anything < 6 months) after getting their previous?

Message 19 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar

I'm fairly certain the the default bureau hit for a Citi HP CLI request is EQ, regardless of region.  If anyone has an example or reference of Citi pulling something other than EQ for a HP CLI request, please say so.  My only other HP CLI from them landed on EQ, so I would tend to expect the same if I were to do the same request.

I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or another, but I'm actually looking to take the HP on the bureau that I'm at 850 on already, because I know that doing so won't drop my score below 850.  I do know that taking the HP on either of the other 2B will prevent me from achieving 850 on either of them for at least another year as long as the inquiry is scoreable, though. 

You're more than likely right that something has got to give.  I suppose I'm attempting to have my cake and eat it too here, something that's probably not going to happen.  I think I've already sort of made the decision though on what will give and that's my CL on the card, as I'm not at this time looking to suppress my EX/EQ scores any more.  If Citi isn't open to where they place their HP for a CLI request, I'll likely simply "take what I can get" with a standard SP CLI request and make do.

As an aside question, I think I've read that with Citi accounts one doesn't need to wait 180 days between SP CLIs the way that you do with other lenders like Amex, Cap One, etc.  From what I've read, it's sort of profile/account-specific, where if you have SP language there you can make a request.  That being said, are there examples out there of people obtaining SP CLIs from Citi say 3-4 months (or anything < 6 months) after getting their previous?

The highlighted portions are what I was referencing to keep expectations realistic.  I mean, it never hurts to ask Citi if they would be *willing* to review an alternate CR and see what they say, but this is assuming the SP doesn't provide the flexibility you're looking for and decide to pursue the EO route.  The instance there, however, is that while the EO may relay your exception request to UW, ultimately they'll make the call.

In the past, I've had mixed results in the SP frequency yields, not sure if it's a fluke or not, but sometimes Citi can yield a SP CLI in a shorter timeframe than the usual 6 months.  I'm sure some folks on here have had similar results.  Worse case scenario, in the event any premature request fails, you can try again since it doesn't reset the CLI clock.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.