cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone gotten personal Amex through Corporate Advantage offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone gotten personal Amex through Corporate Advantage offer?

I mentioned this in another topic but wanted to make a dedicated topic about this. I just read this topic https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guaranteed-approval-Amex/td-p/4867848 where someone with 467 fico score got approved for BCP with $10k limit through corporate advantage program.

The company I work for gives me a corporate Amex. I recently logged into that account and found a similar offer, something saying "in recognition of your corporate membership" You are invited to apply for a personal card. (it doesn't say I've pre-qualified though).
After putting my card number in it takes me to a page where I can apply for platinum, gold, BCP, etc. Here are some screenshots of the offers:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 6.52.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 6.53.00 PM.png

I'm wary of applying because I JUST got a Blue Cash Everyday with a $500 CL. However the Author of the post says his job told him that program is guaranteed approval. 

Anybody else have experience with this?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone gotten personal Amex through Corporate Advantage offer?

No, I have a similar question, asked before, did not get enough info that I felt confident applying.

Someone did tell me that his friend's daughter with absolutely no credit applied after getting a corporate card, and had her choice of a few cards (don't remember which, but desirable ones).

Someone else advised me to check prequalification by using an incognito window to avoid my corporate-card cookies from getting in the way. When I try that, I still don't prequalify for anything.

I would love more data about this. My scores aren't that bad, but my credit is new and I have opened seven accounts in a little over two months, so I would not normally expect to be approved for an Amex. If I COULD get one now, I'd love to do so, so that it ages with my other new stuff rather than damaging my AAoA and AoYA down the road.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

No, I have a similar question, asked before, did not get enough info that I felt confident applying.

Someone did tell me that his friend's daughter with absolutely no credit applied after getting a corporate card, and had her choice of a few cards (don't remember which, but desirable ones).

Someone else advised me to check prequalification by using an incognito window to avoid my corporate-card cookies from getting in the way. When I try that, I still don't prequalify for anything.

I would love more data about this. My scores aren't that bad, but my credit is new and I have opened seven accounts in a little over two months, so I would not normally expect to be approved for an Amex. If I COULD get one now, I'd love to do so, so that it ages with my other new stuff rather than damaging my AAoA and AoYA down the road.

In same boat as you, though I have a good Experian score (that's where they pull). Just that I have a bunch of recent inquiries, and just opened a BCE with AMEX, so Would not expect to be approved.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

Update: I just applied, and was instantly approved for the Gold! I was already on the phone with Amex about another matter, then asked about it, they said that they couldn't guarantee it, but that in the guy's personal experience, if an offer is extended, you are very likely to be approved no matter what. He invited me to apply over the phone but I decided to do it through the corporate membership portal and was instantly approved.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you!  Now what else have you been up to for the past week?  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Well, I decided to apply for a Gold Card, even though the only reason I would plausibly be approved is because I have a corporate card. I was rejected.

I checked the reasons for the denial online, and many of them seem incorrect. For example, it says:

"No recent record of bank or retail revolving accounts. (Experian)" - I have an Amazon Store Card and a My Jeweler Club card that are both on Experian.

"There are no credit card accounts on your credit report. (Experian)" - All of the cards in my signature show up on Experian.

It may really mean that I haven't had those accounts long enough for them to take seriously, which is fair enough (oldest account on Experian was opened April 2 2019), but that's not what the words say, so I am unsure if there could be an error of some sort.

The only thing I still want to add right now in the next 12 months is an Amex Gold (and some secured card graduations and maybe some CLIs), so, piling on another inquiry in a failed attempt to get an Amex Gold doesn't bother me the way it would most people in most situations. I won't get an adverse action with my secured cards or My Jeweler Club or anything.

But anyway, there's a datapoint that having an Amex corp card (it has my name on it but is paid by my company) does not guarantee approval for a personal Amex Gold.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

Well, I decided to apply for a Gold Card, even though the only reason I would plausibly be approved is because I have a corporate card. I was rejected.

I checked the reasons for the denial online, and many of them seem incorrect. For example, it says:

"No recent record of bank or retail revolving accounts. (Experian)" - I have an Amazon Store Card and a My Jeweler Club card that are both on Experian.

"There are no credit card accounts on your credit report. (Experian)" - All of the cards in my signature show up on Experian.

It may really mean that I haven't had those accounts long enough for them to take seriously, which is fair enough (oldest account on Experian was opened April 2 2019), but that's not what the words say, so I am unsure if there could be an error of some sort.

The only thing I still want to add right now in the next 12 months is an Amex Gold (and some secured card graduations and maybe some CLIs), so, piling on another inquiry in a failed attempt to get an Amex Gold doesn't bother me the way it would most people in most situations. I won't get an adverse action with my secured cards or My Jeweler Club or anything.

But anyway, there's a datapoint that having an Amex corp card (it has my name on it but is paid by my company) does not guarantee approval for a personal Amex Gold.

Oh no I'm sorry to hear. But did you apply through the link your corporate account provided you? When I applied I first logged into my corporate account, went to the following link: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/gcpadvantage/login/?eep=36013&channel=myca and then applied. When you're logged into your coporate account you don't need to fill out the details they just pull up the offers and you select one.

Oddly, when I went to that link without being logged in, and entered my corporate card number manually, it said there were no offers for me.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeing as you just got approved.... you won't see offers for a little bit until the system cycles through your new account.  

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I mean when I did this in the past. I saved the link and tried to pull up the offers again, but since I wasn't logged into my corporate account I had to enter my info manually. When I did it said there were no offers. So I logged in and returned to the link and the offers came up.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then that's similar to when you hit the pre-qual page before you have an account and get results.  After you have an account you don't get results because you have an account and need to login and you're pre-approved for all of the cards already and just have to pick them and hit submit.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.