Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have the Best Buy Mastercard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have the Best Buy Mastercard?

I was thinking about getting this card as I'm about to spend $1k on a laptop there and figured I might as well get some extra reward points out of it. But online, the stupid site doesn't really give me the terms of the card. It gives me a "plain english" summary, which isn't sufficient, then goes straight to the application.

So anyway, I think there may or may not be an annual fee depending on your credit rating. Does anyone know what the annual fee is and at what score threshold it is waived? Does it have an introductory 0% APR period like the normal store card?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone have the Best Buy Mastercard?

They have different programs for different scores. If you get approved with a program "A" you will have 18mo 0 apr on some purchases + will be able to increase your limit right away and get limit increases later
Message 2 of 11
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I have both the store card and the M/C.  I don't think the M/C offers the zero percent interest on purchases, only the store card.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, I was talking about store card
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... the Store Card and MC are seperate entities.  I use my BBMC everywhere and then just PIF to earn the bonus points.  I've spent over $2500 so I'm now part of the "Premiere Silver" club they have which earns an additional 50% in points and gives a few different perks as well.

From the sounds of it, you're looking to pay off that laptop over a longer time period so the store card might be what you need for that.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW who gave you higher initial limit, store card or MC?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
BTW who gave you higher initial limit, store card or MC?

I only have the mastercard which initially started at $750 for me (is now $1800) over the course of 2 years.  The CLI button they have executes a soft pull which you can use every 6 months.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be paying off the laptop in full immediately, unless there is 0% APR for some period. But really the whole point is getting the extra reward points so I'm not interested in the store card. I just want to know if there will be an annual fee, and if so what it will be.

My goal is just to save as much as possible, so I'm not gonna be paying finance charges or annual fees, and if I can't get it without an annual fee, I'll just use my normal 1.25% cash back card with my standard reward zone membership.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

EDIT: While I'm at it, how is HSBC's website as far as online payments, interface, and statement viewing etc.? I'm used to Citi's and Chase's. Are accumulated rewards shown there, or only on the separate BB Reward Zone site?

Message Edited by Cryostasis on 08-24-2009 03:08 PM
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be paying off the laptop in full immediately, unless there is 0% APR for some period. But really the whole point is getting the extra reward points so I'm not interested in the store card. I just want to know if there will be an annual fee, and if so what it will be.

My goal is just to save as much as possible, so I'm not gonna be paying finance charges or annual fees, and if I can't get it without an annual fee, I'll just use my normal 1.25% cash back card with my standard reward zone membership.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

EDIT: While I'm at it, how is HSBC's website as far as online payments, interface, and statement viewing etc.? I'm used to Citi's and Chase's. Are accumulated rewards shown there, or only on the separate BB Reward Zone site?

Message Edited by Cryostasis on 08-24-2009 03:08 PM

Both cards use the same reward zone site.  The BBMC updates the reward zone site on your statement date (or close to it).  My card has no annual fee so that's not an issue... it's at 19.24% APR but I don't carry a balance so it doesn't affect me.

Like I said, I use my card everywhere so everytime I go to dinner I'm earning reward zone points and if you use it in store you get double the points (somtimes triple or more depending on what ads they're running).

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll probably go for it then. I don't care how high the APR is since I don't carry balances over any rate above 0%. Do you know what your score was approximately when you applied?

I hate how it works where you apply with one thing in mind, then they approve you for another thing without giving you a chance to decline the worse offer.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.