cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

tag
DrForce
Valued Member

Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

Like many on here, I have a credit card that I use for gas purchases only, the Penfed Cash Rewards card, that gives 5% back at gas stations and 0% on everything else. Since I only use this card when I'm at the pump and with my car, I thought it would be nice to lighten the wallet a little and leave the Penfed card in my car at all times rather than carry it. I figured if I could find a good hiding spot, it would prevent someone from finding it even if my car was broken into.

Does anyone else keep their gas card permanently in their car? Would I still have zero liability if the card were stolen in a break in? Are there any other issues I should know about? Thanks all! 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

I use the same card. I keep it in my wallet. I feel uneasy about keeping anything of value in a vehicle. Unless it's parked in my garage.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just use the same card i have in my wallet as well. I dont see a reason why you wouldnt have zero liability on the card if you left it in the vehicle.

Message 3 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I mainly use speedpass for gas, but of course that only works if you use ExxonMobil

Message 4 of 25
elim
Senior Contributor

Same card...  Wallet

Find a good hiding spot (like you say) and set up Alerts... it should be alright.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do some research on the ingenious ways drug traffickers hide drugs in their cars.  I believe Breaking Bad had an episode where the stereo was motorized and once it came out of the dash the meth was right there to grab.  Find you a safe place in case someone steals your car or breaks into it.  You could get some double sided velcro tape and tape a pouch on the right hand side of your driver seat at the console.

Message 6 of 25
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Absolutely not. Some of my other credit cards would need to be left at home or even closed rather than keeping my dedicated gas card in my car if my wallet is in such a need of lightening. I leave almost nothing that would be useful or enticing to a thief in my car, even if the items could easily be hidden. Additionally, having a gas card in my own car wouldn't be very useful when I have to rent a car or drive a loaner. 

Message 7 of 25
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

I do, but I have a "console vault" that has a combination lock.  If my truck was stolen, I have Onstar, so the risk is much less.  The locking vault is really handy - and private!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do sometimes, but it is a gas company card only. I don't use Visa, MC, or AMEX to pay for gas unless I'm traveling and there are no stations around that I have a card for, or buying gas at Costco. Most cards give a few cents off a gallon and/or charge cash price. That makes it worth while, also knowing that if the card is skimmed, they could only use the card at a gas station.

Message 9 of 25
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

If you want to hide it then just get some silly putty or something tacky enough to grab the card and stick it inside the fuse cover that's usually inside the door jam and the console/dash.  If you don't have anything personal that's easily visible from looking through a window i.e. radar, gps, etc. then most likely they're not even going to bother trying to get in.  Once I got rid of things that sit on the dash many years ago I haven't had any issue with a break in.  

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.