cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

@austinguy907 wrote:

If you want to hide it then just get some silly putty or something tacky enough to grab the card and stick it inside the fuse cover that's usually inside the door jam and the console/dash.  If you don't have anything personal that's easily visible from looking through a window i.e. radar, gps, etc. then most likely they're not even going to bother trying to get in.  Once I got rid of things that sit on the dash many years ago I haven't had any issue with a break in.  

The one time my current car was broken into (because I mistakenly left it unlocked), the prowlers opened my fuse box - likely looking for a way around the vehcile immobilizer.

They didn't find one, and ended up just ransacking the car and taking anything not nailed down - in this case my phone charger and the owner's manual of all things

But yeah - fuse box is not a great plan...really nowhere is a good plan, so I too recommend your wallet Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I strongly recommend against keeping anything of this sort in your car. One of my volunteer gigs is with my local sheriff's office and identity theft is huge. Theifs have switched from stealing valuables to stealing mail, copying cards, recording drivers license info, car registration details, anything that could be used to identify you. They'll even pass up jewelry, stereos, and other valuables so you won't be tipped off.

Moral of the story? Keep nothing personally identifiable in the car other than what's absolutely necessary. Also, don't leave your wallet in the car while you're at the gym!!! Everyone does it so the ID thief's love to break in cars at gyms.
Message 12 of 25
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I strongly recommend against keeping anything of this sort in your car. One of my volunteer gigs is with my local sheriff's office and identity theft is huge. Theifs have switched from stealing valuables to stealing mail, copying cards, recording drivers license info, car registration details, anything that could be used to identify you. They'll even pass up jewelry, stereos, and other valuables so you won't be tipped off.

Moral of the story? Keep nothing personally identifiable in the car other than what's absolutely necessary. Also, don't leave your wallet in the car while you're at the gym!!! Everyone does it so the ID thief's love to break in cars at gyms.

It's not the theft of the card itself that I would worry about.

My GF's 23 year old son has a horrible drug problem. And, to support his habit, he had been breaking into cars. Stealing whatever change and or gift cards he could find.

But, one other thing. When he found a major credit card, he would take a picture of both sides of the card with his phone. THen, he would use the card info to order things online.. and sell them on craigslist or to a pawnshop.  I hadn't even ever thought of this type of theft, but it's so easy to do.. And, if the car was left unlocked, as apparently most of them were, THE CAR OWNER WOULD NEVER KNOW A THING!!!

GF's son is in jail now, and headed to a rehab program for the unphteenth time. Hopefully he can kick the addiction before it kills him...  Addictions are so heartbreaking...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 13 of 25
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Agree with previous posters here.  Not a fan of leaving valuables in the car nowadays!!  Its unfortunate but thats the world we live in now!!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not understanding why someone would want to leave a card in their car, assuming they also have their wallet on them at all times.  The OP suggested lightening the wallet load, but what does one card add to that load?  I'd venture to guess that 1 card doesn't increase wallet load by more than 1%; it's insignificant.

Message 15 of 25
msm859
Established Member

I keep a credit card and some cash in my car - that way if I ever leave home forgetting my wallet, or if it got lost I would have something to use.  Corvettes have a panel behind the nav screen that can only open up if you have the key.

Message 16 of 25
DrForce
Valued Member

HI all, thanks for all the comments. It looks like most people shy away from keeping a card in your car so I won't go down this road (pun intended).

The reason I wanted to lighten my wallet is because I use a phone case to carry all my cards. WIth a max of 4 cards possible in the case, eliminating one card really does make a big difference so that is why I was asking. Still it seems like most advise not to take the risk of leaving it in the car. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditch that phone case right now. I never understood why people take the risk of using such a thing. It's not bad enough to lose your phone...but your wallet HAS TO BE LOST TOO?? (and vice versa). It's a nightmare if/when you ever lose the **bleep** thing. Really not pretty. Don't be lazy, get one of those small card holders or money clips if you don't want a traditional wallet. DO NOT tie together your phone and all your IDs/CCs...
Message 18 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ditch that phone case right now. I never understood why people take the risk of using such a thing. It's not bad enough to lose your phone...but your wallet HAS TO BE LOST TOO?? (and vice versa). It's a nightmare if/when you ever lose the **bleep** thing. Really not pretty. Don't be lazy, get one of those small card holders or money clips if you don't want a traditional wallet. DO NOT tie together your phone and all your IDs/CCs...

IMO a little more mixed than that!   If you merely lose your phone, you can usually locate it with the right apps, and in doing so you find the cards.  If you lose your wallet, alone, much harder to find

That said, I would put the cards in a phone-based pay system (ideally Samsung Pay) and minimize the number of cards needed that way

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd rather keep it in a wallet, as I know that my wallet is always going to be with me when I drive. I don't know whether I'm going to drive my car, DW's car, or a rental. Those are too situational, but I always always always have my wallet. 

I'm also in the "separate wallet and phone" camps, but not because I'm worried about losing them. Wallet is always in my back pocket; cell phone is always in my right front pocket. Instead, I'd be more worried about what to do if one gets stolen. Its unlikely to happen, but this way I can ensure that I can do something, whether it is call for help or get a cab.  I also use my wallet to store my work RFID, so I can just scan my wallet, rather than having a lanyard or whatever else.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.