cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know of new card launches in 2013?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Anyone know of new card launches in 2013?

I google "new credit card launch" every now and then. I'm kinda itching for something....but something good. I like the rewards cards I have for the most part but am always looking for something better. I am always particularly curious of Amex since I don't have a personal Amex card (I have the Plum for business). Their current selection leaves me underwhelmed (Yes, even the vaunted BCP!) in light of my options on other cards I have. 

The only card I don't have (that I would actually app for) that has me even a little interested is the Fidelity Investment Rewards Amex (flat 2% cash back)....but not being an Amex-administed card (FIA handles it) or having a bonus rewards program attached to it leaves me calmly restrained and unwilling to do it. 

But anyways, I don't get it. I google for news on such things and I never saw the new Discover IT until it was already out. Are these things a well kept secret til they launch? Anyone know a reliable source to keep abreast on new cards on the horizon?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone know of new card launches in 2013?

@ztnjpv wrote:

I google "new credit card launch" every now and then. I'm kinda itching for something....but something good. I like the rewards cards I have for the most part but am always looking for something better. I am always particularly curious of Amex since I don't have a personal Amex card (I have the Plum for business). Their current selection leaves me underwhelmed (Yes, even the vaunted BCP!) in light of my options on other cards I have. 

The only card I don't have (that I would actually app for) that has me even a little interested is the Fidelity Investment Rewards Amex (flat 2% cash back)....but not being an Amex-administed card (FIA handles it) or having a bonus rewards program attached to it leaves me calmly restrained and unwilling to do it. 

But anyways, I don't get it. I google for news on such things and I never saw the new Discover IT until it was already out. Are these things a well kept secret til they launch? Anyone know a reliable source to keep abreast on new cards on the horizon?

Not sure what you mean by "bonus rewards" program, but Fidelity does give access to the Worldpoints mall which offers lots of bonus points.  Not likethe big milage programs of course, but the 2% cash back is meant to be the draw.

On your major question, I would expect these things to be closely held so you probably won't get advance notice unless there is a leak.  

Compare this to cell phones:  new phones are often announced months in advance at trade shows, and in the US, filings have to be placed with the FCC before release.  There are tons of sites who follow the tradeshows and FCC filings, and  report on all this, with breathless excitement.   New credit cards don't have the FCC-equivalent oversight, the excitement (for whatever reason) or the tradeshows!  (Probably  because if someone announced a new credit card idea, it's very easy for others to implement, whereas getting smartphone features copied for your model is much harder.)

Message 2 of 4
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Well, my CrapOne is getting buckshot launched at it.  Does that count?

Message 3 of 4
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

The Fidelity card gives access to the Worldpoints mall?? Is that basically like Cap1's Central Perk or the Ultimate Rewards Mall from Chase? If so, I'll reconsider.

(update: I just looked it up. It's exactly like Central Perk or ultimate rewards. Maybe I'll reconsider....)

Funny, I asked an FIA CSR if the card had a bonus program to earn extra points with online vendors and she said no.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.