cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know what a creditor can see through softpull??

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Anyone know what a creditor can see through softpull??

4th Statement cut since last CLI on my Walmart Discover, no auto love, called for CLI from 4K to 8K and got rejected. I may try again in ten days, after I have paid off the balance on this card. 

Just curious, what can the creditor see through SP? Can they see your new accounts? I'm thinking maybe it's because they see my app spree last month which resulted in eight newly opened account.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone know what a creditor can see through softpull??

They can see exactly the same thing a hard inquiry would show them.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

OK. Then that totally makes sense why they doesn't give me CLI.

But I've been told by Disocver card analyst once when I request CLI that they need to HP me to see the whole picture of my credit report. Were they lying?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 3 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

I don't know what he means by whole picture specifically, but a CLI with discover is HP if they can't grant you any CLI through a soft pull
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 11
Vikz27
New Contributor

A creditor with a soft pull can only glimpse credit score and recent activity in your file. With a hard pull they can glimpse your file completely with no time constraint or information blocks on other accounts from other creditors
Message 5 of 11
Vikz27
New Contributor

Forgot to mention. Each creditor has a contract with the bureaus that gives them certain information with a soft pull. That's why some creditor may take adverse action with too many inquiries while other creditors don't seem to care since they don't pay for that info unless they can hard pull you
Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

To my knowledge the only difference between soft and hard inquiries are its impact on your credit score.

Whenever you pull a copy of your own credit report, it is a soft inquiry. Lenders are pretty much privy to the same thing as you see when you soft pull your own CR.

While certain services (i.e. CreditKarma) doesn't show the entire payment history and what not, such information is readily available in a soft pull, just like how you can see the whole history when using other services, such as with Experian directly or trilegiant products. So the amount of data a lender can see depends on which software / service / bureau they are using for their soft inquiries, but technically if they want to, they can see everything, except other soft inquiries.

Also, soft inquiries for promotional purposes are quite different. Rather than to look at each report individually, they pay a company or the CRA to generate a list of names and addresses of potential customers that meet their requirements.

The whole point of hard inquiries is to basically report and have a record on file that you are actively seeking credit. Soft inquiries on the other hand can be for anything, but not when you're applying for credit (for most situations).

Message 7 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

4th Statement cut since last CLI on my Walmart Discover, no auto love, called for CLI from 4K to 8K and got rejected. I may try again in ten days, after I have paid off the balance on this card. 

Just curious, what can the creditor see through SP? Can they see your new accounts? I'm thinking maybe it's because they see my app spree last month which resulted in eight newly opened account.

Eight new accounts within a month would certainly affect your profile for now.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Not exactly true. A SP is like a quick snapshot of your report, its not as detailed as a HP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
Smug
Established Contributor

would love to see one posted, always wondered about that.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.