cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone noticed Plastiq coding as Utilities?

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Anyone noticed Plastiq coding as Utilities?

I paid my mortgage early for Feb, in order to work on a SUB. I'm not sure if it will code that way for other lenders?

Wondering if anyone was successful at collecting rewards by using Plastiq in conjunction with a utilities cash back card or even a points Travel CC?

I know Visa and Amex are automatically blocked for mortgage payments. 

I'm curious if anyone with the US Bank Cash Plus has used Plastiq and what it coded as?

Maybe even the Huntington Rewards card or the FNBO Business Cash rewards card?

I'm searching for a loop hole in the system. lol

All of these cards give 4 to 5% return, if the CC is used for utilities. I know there are a few more CC's out there that have a utilities reward category as well.

Below is cut and pasted from my Citi online activity. 

Category:Services - UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER

To bad, the Citi Business AA is only giving 2 points per dollar on cellular, satellite, gasoline,  office supplies, rentals and American airlines purchases. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone noticed Plastiq coding as Utilities?

I’ve used discover and capital one for plastiq and both record as utilities. I know you didn’t ask Aboht them but sharing data point!
Message 2 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I’d’ve tried the USB Cash+ A while ago, but Plastiq says the transaction would be treated as a cash advance. This link shows how cards process transactions with them https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005215254-Visa-Personal-Card-Changes
Message 3 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

So I’ve been using the PayPal combo for 0.5% after their fee.
I charge about $5k a month on Plastiq so that’s ~$25 CB monthly. Better than nothing.
I hope someone finds a better way to maximize my $5k.
Message 4 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'll have to try this Max! I have to use a different PayPal account in order to apply for the 2% PayPal card. Since I had the Extras PayPal card, the system won't let me apply for the 2% CB one.
Thanks debtguy for the great info on the Discover!
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will be paying my rent 1 month ahead and pay two month's rent each time. Paying online has a fixed $17 fee, paying 2 months at a time would give me 1% cashback. lol

Theretically i can pay 3 months each time, but a bit worried about paying that far ahead.

Message 6 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
I'll have to try this Max! I have to use a different PayPal account in order to apply for the 2% PayPal card. Since I had the Extras PayPal card, the system won't let me apply for the 2% CB one.

You definitely should. There are ways to lower Plastiq’s fees and they run promos from time to time. 

Last year, they had one nice promo that eliminated their fees up to $500 payments for a few months if you scheduled recurring transactions. That was a savings of up to $12.50 for every transaction. It saved me a lot of money on fees while earning 3% in CB. 

I also think that putting all that spend on the card helped me get a CLI to $25k from the original $10k.

Message 7 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

You definitely should. There are ways to lower Plastiq’s fees and they run promos from time to time. 

Last year, they had one nice promo that eliminated their fees up to $500 payments for a few months if you scheduled recurring transactions. That was a savings of up to $12.50 for every transaction. It saved me a lot of money on fees while earning 3% in CB. 

I also think that putting all that spend on the card helped me get a CLI to $25k from the original $10k.

I am about to do this for my real estate tax.  The city offers WU payment at 2.95%, so Plastiq is a little better.    And when  I think about, perhaps time to use Plastiq to send money to the TOTALLY UNRELATED  ShortTimeFullParticipant Services Inc

Message 8 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

I paid my mortgage early for Feb, in order to work on a SUB. I'm not sure if it will code that way for other lenders?

Wondering if anyone was successful at collecting rewards by using Plastiq in conjunction with a utilities cash back card or even a points Travel CC?

I know Visa and Amex are automatically blocked for mortgage payments. 

I'm curious if anyone with the US Bank Cash Plus has used Plastiq and what it coded as?

Maybe even the Huntington Rewards card or the FNBO Business Cash rewards card?

I'm searching for a loop hole in the system. lol

All of these cards give 4 to 5% return, if the CC is used for utilities. I know there are a few more CC's out there that have a utilities reward category as well.

Below is cut and pasted from my Citi online activity. 

Category:Services - UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER

To bad, the Citi Business AA is only giving 2 points per dollar on cellular, satellite, gasoline,  office supplies, rentals and American airlines purchases. Smiley Sad

FNBO has a business card that gives 4 or 5% on utilities?? I'm going to have to check this out--AFAIK my FNBO Bus. Edition card I've had for the last 3 years gives no rewards at all.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 9 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup they have one that has very wide categories. FNBO recently changed their online system. I can't pull up the CCs they offer anymore, even though I have three of them. 😂
If you're not in the service area. The site will block you from viewing them.
However I can pull up the CC by going to the banks that FNBO supplies this card to.

https://www.scsbnet.com/site/small-business/lending/credit-cards/visa/

https://www.tcfbank.com/small-business/credit-cards/business-edition-visa-card-category-rewards

https://www.washingtoncountybank.com/small-business/credit-cards/

The CC is called the Business edition with category rewards.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.