cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone reach the point where their CC portfolio is complete?

tag
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone reach the point where their CC portfolio is complete?

@CreditScholar wrote:

I'm almost finished. At this point I'm looking for 1-2 more cards (hotel cards) and that's it.

One will be the Chase Hyatt card, since Hyatt is my primary hotel chain. The second will be the JPM Ritz Carlton card or the new Citi Hilton Reserve. In the areas where there isn't a Hyatt, it's good to have a second chain (Hilton or Marriott) as a backup.

After these 2 I'll be finished for quite awhile, and if something better does come out I'll swap one card for another. I definitely don't want to have to deal with a plethora of cards.

WhenWhen I started this journey 10 months ago, this was exactly my mindset...I only wanted 4 cards max. I applaud your diligence!
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 11 of 46
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I have reached that point with seven cards.  My last one was a US bank Cash+ card. There is not a credit card out their that interests me.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 12 of 46
heirophant
Established Contributor

I thought I was done with my Bank Americard Travel Rewards Card after my app spree at the beginning of the month. Got BECU CLI from 1k to 10k, approved for Citi Forward, US Bank Cash+, and finally BOA Travel Rewards. Then I decided I needed one more low-interest rate card. So, I went down to my local CU, AlaskaUSA FCU (who I also have a mortgage through), and got it. Now, the journey is complete for years to come. A couple will close before AF hits. A couple will eventually just close by themselves as I have no plans to use. I couldn't be happier after my app spree at the beginning of the month. I think its no coincidence the two highest CL's and best interest rates I have are through CU's.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 13 of 46
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
I have reached that point and I will not be applying for cards anytime soon. Unless... Amex sends me a Centurion application.

I have been there twice in my life both periods over 10 years.    Unfortunately both were ended with some sort of financial disaster (BK or CO).     Expect to be there again in about 3 years ( all CO gone from CR). 

You had a Centurion twice?

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 14 of 46
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

no! i want a chase CSP, amex SPG and costco card! that will be the day...

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 15 of 46
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

I'm just about done and I have only 3 cards.

1st card: Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers.*

2ndcard: Chase Freedom

3rd card: Blue from American Express**

*I’m eventually going to drop the cap1 card as it was my first card and cl stuck at $750.

** Will PC to Blue Sky from American Express as I don’t see the point in getting BCE when I have Freedom.

All I want is 1 card for everyday shopping (Freedom) 1 card for travel and hotel (Amex Blue Sky) and 1 later on with a very low apr.

I was also thinking about the Discover More but once again I have a Freedom so pointless. Anyone recommend a card that offers a low apr? (I don’t care about rewards, or perks).

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HenryJumbo wrote:

I'm just about done and I have only 3 cards.

1st card: Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers.*

2ndcard: Chase Freedom

3rd card: Blue from American Express**

*I’m eventually going to drop the cap1 card as it was my first card and cl stuck at $750.

** Will PC to Blue Sky from American Express as I don’t see the point in getting BCE when I have Freedom.

All I want is 1 card for everyday shopping (Freedom) 1 card for travel and hotel (Amex Blue Sky) and 1 later on with a very low apr.

I was also thinking about the Discover More but once again I have a Freedom so pointless. Anyone recommend a card that offers a low apr? (I don’t care about rewards, or perks).

Depending on your profile the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Gold or Gold Plus Mastercard is about the best option. Def a prime card though.

Message 17 of 46
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Yes, No, and Maybe.

Yes.  I have reached the point where it is much easier to get a card with higher limits.  I would not have needed to do this if Capone had given me even small increases.  Had they simply triple my little toy limit with them over the course of 2 years, I would have been happy.  They did and would not, so I went on a little app spree and was approved for 4 out of 5 cards I applied for.  I did add some just for sake of reporting as I have no intention of using them.  Two of these were department store cards.  Two were Visa cards with much better limits than Capone.  Capone did not have to give me as much as they did, they just had to give me something!  I closed one of my Capone accounts due to this issue last month.  So yes, I have more than I need and am pretty happy with it.

No. I would like to have a card with a higher limit, rewards, and with no annual fees.  Currently, I pay two annual fees.  One I will continue to pay for another year or two.  (Merrick)  For the other I will only keep it open when the AF is due, if my credit limit is $2,500 by that time and I will ask them to waive the fee.  (Capone)  After that I will close the card if they don't alter the terms and conditions.

Maybe.  If I get the card from ChaseI applied for, I will be more than happy.  I don't care at this point if they give me a low limit, but not too low I hope.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 46
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

nope but almost, im def. gonna keep the nfcu flagship sig visa, chase sapphire, keep the amex blue cash pref., probably just keep the Zync for my charge card because the green or gold dont appeal to me, I will definitely get rid of the Barclay Apple card after a year, and prob the Discover more. 

The next card will probably be a travel or hotel card and then I should be set!

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 19 of 46
thom02099
Valued Contributor

That would be me!  I've got what I wanted in the way of credit cards.  I could expand the list (in my signature) but I'm satisfied with what I have...$70K in credit available IF I NEED IT!  All a matter of managing it responsibly, if one gets too much credit, it can be a challenge to effectively manage it. 

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.