Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone see this in their Amex account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone see this in their Amex account?

Just curious - I was looking the other day and the pop up banner at the bottom on the View All Cards screen was pushing AU accounts, and said “add an authorized user over 18...”

It’s typically been age 13 where Amex would allow someone to become an AU. My 15 and 14 year olds have two AU cards each on my accounts, and both are functional. Anyone know if this is a policy change for Amex and the AU cards may get closed?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Anyone see this in their Amex account?

Uh oh, not more nerfsSmiley Sad @Gmood1 would be disappointed with this as i believe he has his kids all AU from birthSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 18
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I just checked and it shows:  

SHARE THE EXPERIENCE
Add a loved one over 18 to your account to help build their credit.
Message 3 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

In a way makes sense. They want an AU to possibly help create more spend, how does a 15 year do that lol, unless you give them the card and let them go shopping haha! ....I made a funny!!🐢🐀
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol AJC that’s exactly what I do with them. Their cards get some spend each month, if they go to a movie with friends or ride bikes up to the local pizza shop, for example. Plus, my daughter will be driving in September so the card is there for gas as well.

Hoping they don’t nerf the age threshold altogether. I rarely ever carry cash so if they are going somewhere, they just get their cards rather than me having to go pull money out. I keep some cash in the house but I prefer to get the rewards and have the security of knowing I can shut down the cards if they ever get lost.
Message 5 of 18
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

It doesn't say that in mine.

Additional Card Members do not have accounts with us but can use your Account subject to the terms of the Card Member Agreement, must be at least 13 years of age and never had a default account with American Express. You are responsible for the activity and use of your Account by Additional Card Members. You must pay for all charges they make.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve seen both messages on my Amex account. Recently the banner stating add over 18, but still see the over 13 when viewing cards on their site under my gold. Not sure what the play is there. Is it 13 or it is 18?
Message 7 of 18
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

I have been getting the pop up about the AU card for 18+ but when I click to the Add A User page - it references 13+.......

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all, I’ll go check that too.
Message 9 of 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Hmm. My account has said that for awhile. Obviously Amex assumed I couldn’t delegate any responsibility lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.