cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone see this in their Amex account?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone see this in their Amex account?

@Anonymous wrote:
Lol AJC that’s exactly what I do with them. Their cards get some spend each month, if they go to a movie with friends or ride bikes up to the local pizza shop, for example. Plus, my daughter will be driving in September so the card is there for gas as well.

Hoping they don’t nerf the age threshold altogether. I rarely ever carry cash so if they are going somewhere, they just get their cards rather than me having to go pull money out. I keep some cash in the house but I prefer to get the rewards and have the security of knowing I can shut down the cards if they ever get lost.

I'm over 18.  I like pizza and movies too!  You can add me Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmao @FinStar, says the guy with 8 Amex revolvers and probably some cards with individual limits higher than my aggregate CL 😂

Ok, but you have to bring your own bike!
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically a person cannot "build credit" under 18, so that is likely why the banner is worded that way. But you can still add AU's at age 13 for them to use said account, it just will not help them build any credit until they reach 18. 

I always get offers for adding AU all the time and the 13+ is still listed.

Speaking of Amex accounts, anyone notice the change to online statements? I was on when they were rolling it out and had a minor hiccup switching from one card to the other, then when it reloaded there was a new layout with what each transaction was earning. Such as 4X on Supermarket and Restaurant spend. So that will be nice instead of having to dig deeper for it in points summary.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's targetted marketing, not a restriction.

Most people think of authorized users as someone they want to allow to charge on the card - children, spouses, parents, etc.

This is letting people know it can be a way of helping someone out. Most people really never think about their credit scores. 

Message 14 of 18
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just curious - I was looking the other day and the pop up banner at the bottom on the View All Cards screen was pushing AU accounts, and said “add an authorized user over 18...”

It’s typically been age 13 where Amex would allow someone to become an AU. My 15 and 14 year olds have two AU cards each on my accounts, and both are functional. Anyone know if this is a policy change for Amex and the AU cards may get closed?

The minimum age is still 13 (or 14) but if they are 18 or over they will report to the CRA.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
In a way makes sense. They want an AU to possibly help create more spend, how does a 15 year do that lol, unless you give them the card and let them go shopping haha! ....I made a funny!!🐢🐀

I gues you have had no 15 year oldsSmiley LOL, all 3 of mine past 15. and I can tell you, they'll outspend me any day of the week.

I made Mine AU's but never gave The Card (Smart, M_Smart that is)

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me go add some kids before any policies change!
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart, I have 15 and 14 year olds. I know that unchecked, they could easily max my accounts with their AU cards. However I have drilled into them that there are limits to adhere to when I give them their cards, and they’ve been great about it. They know I get a text when a charge is made and they know that if extra is needed, then can call and plead their case. So far so good.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.